does anyone work in a hospital?

how are hospital towels cleaned? i had to go to the emergency room a couple of days ago because of a minor car accident and they used towels on me that looked like they had blood stains! how are hospital towels cleaned exactly? i can't find it anywhere online. i have OCD baaaad w/o my medication and i'm convinced i've picked up something fatal again...any help?

mamalinlin

Asked by mamalinlin at 10:05 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• In a washer and dryer big commercial ones.. Your fine. Don't be OCD if you we were that worried about it why did you use it? Or why didn't you ask about it while you were there.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i asked them for a new one because they had to do a sonogram and then the doctor grabbed more and wiped me off before i could say anything. I don't know how many times YOU'VE been to an emergency room but the dr was GONE before i realized or could ask a question.
    mamalinlin

Answer by mamalinlin at 10:13 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Yes, ER drs are very busy and rushed. I actually work in a nursing home but i'd imagine theyd be the same thing. I really wouldn't be worried about it hon.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I know here they are all white and and bleach is used heavily, like previous answer said washed in a huge industrial washer and dryer, everything in hot water to help kill germs.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:43 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• they are cleaned pretty good but sometimes stains dont go away , you can even sometimes see stains on the gowns .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I work at a birth center, and we use a washer and dryer, and we use either Resolve or peroxide to try to get blood stains out, but sometimes, they're tough to remove. I promise, unless the towel hadn't been washed, you're safe.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• There are water temperature standards and cleaning procedures that all contracted Laundering facilities must follow. Hospitals are required to do annual inspections to ensure that these Laundering facilites are meeting the requirements. Plus almost every hospital has an Infection Control Department that monitors these things. If there was any potential exposure or outbreak they are mandated by law to inform you. So I would say you have nothing to worry about. No doctor or nurse is going to risk the liablity of using a dirty towel on you (exspecially one with blood on it).
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 10:51 AM on Apr. 17, 2009