How to pray?

Yes this is a serious question. I dont know exactly how to pray- it ends up turning out really stupid sounding, like "And please dont let my car break today, thanks for putting food on the table, please let me get this job, please let my friend pull through this time". Is there a certain etiquette to it? I know you should pray for others- but are you supposed to recite bible verses or something too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is no RIGHT or WRONG way to pray. God hears our heart before we even open our mouths. Thank goodness for his grace b/c we as humans will never know exactly how to pray.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:07 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Talk to him like he's your friend, all throughout the day. He wants to be your friend/father. So talk to him like he's one. Like PP said. There is no right way or wrong way but he doesn't want to hear recited/rehearsed he wants to hear what comes from your heart.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I pray just like you do but start with the lords prayer first than I go through everything I am thanful for, then sorry for, then I just talk to him like you are.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• The Lord's Prayer is kind of a template for prayers. You want to make sure you acknowledge God and praise Him for everything he's done for you before you go asking him for things, and make sure you acknowledge that He is the only one that can really help you.
    But there's no right or wrong way. He knows what's in your heart
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 10:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• That was good!
    We cant really answer. becuase its like saying, How do i talk to my friend?
    Its hard sometimes totalk to someone who isnt there physically, but keep doing it, and youll start to feel a connection. It has to be built, and takes work . But HE hears you!
    He loves you, and He is already listening!!

It comes easliy for people, but only because they pray often. I felt the same as you once.
    I always start by praising Him. Everything else just falls into place after that.
    >amber!
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• There is no wrong way to pray. If you are talking to God, praising him, thanking him, or asking him for something, it's all right. God loves to hear from His children!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Prayer: Matthew 5:45,6:5-15
    Jesus explains the right way to pray and why.
    Again in Mark 11:22-25,Luke 18:9-14,and Philippians4:4-7
    Jesus is really specific on how we should pray and why. I follow Jesus and his teaching so I hope this helps.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Do whatever you feel comfortable with. Its not about the "right" or "wrong" way to pray, its about the relationship you have with God, and He knows your heart and how you mean things, He's not going to be offended if He knows you're sincere. We're only human, He doesn't expect us to be perfect - He just wants us to have a relationship with Him, and the fact that you pray is more important than you doing it "right".
    Just do whatever you're comfortable with - talk to Him as though you were talking to a friend, or pray more formally if that makes you feel more comfortable addressing Him, its up to you.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• The Bible says that we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that we can ask the Holy Spirit and He will help us to pray. He will even pray for us when we are unable to pray, the Word says.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Talk to God let you are talking to us... Its that easy tell him about your day ask him to lead and guide you in the path that you need to go.. IF you have any unsaved loved ones ask him that they can find the way before its to late... Talk to him anyone.. There is not a wrong way to talk to to the Lord just end every prayer in Jesus name

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2009