How can I get my 3 year old to stop putting his hands in his pants?!

Mostly in the front, but down the backside too.....it doesn't matter! His hands are just always down there! I always tell him to take his hands out of his pants. I don't mind him being curious, but I do mind always seeing his hands in his pants! What do I do? Anything? Just a stage?

TylersMama05

Asked by TylersMama05 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think its a stage, we have kids at school who do this and we immediately send them to wash their hands.

Start doing this, and he will get tired of going to wash his hands all the time.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My son used to do that. Man I forgot all about that phase till you mentioned this. My son would play with himself everywhere we went. He would fall asleep with his hand there Something had to give.
    I had to resort to humilating him in Walmart. He would shove his hand down his pants and I would yell "Stop touching it! Leave that alone!" It scared him at first, he pulled his hand out and he cried. I would pick him up and tell him he can't touch his pee pee in the store and it's not nice and don't do it again. He wiped his eyes and said "Yes ma'am. I'm sorry." and it kinda ended after that.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• HAHA... Man Denny is doing the same thing, once we moved him into underpants it has been non stop. It drives my DH crazy. No Answer to your question but at least your not alone. :)
    Alisha28

Answer by Alisha28 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• They just had a segment on The Dr's about this - obviously it's an uncomfortable situation for us as parents...and yes it is a phase.

Make sure that you don't send him negative things about what he is doing, but make sure that he knows that it is only appropriate to do it in either his bedroom or in the bathroom. It is okay to be curious, but you don't want to say something that will make him become shy about anything and cause a sexual anxiety in the future.

Good luck!
    Vashtiruescode3

Answer by Vashtiruescode3 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My son did this for a short time right after he was potty trained, but it was short lived and didn't happen in public. I like the first mom's answer about washing the hands... I think that would work. Good luck.
    murelzgirl

Answer by murelzgirl at 1:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Make sure that you don't send him negative things about what he is doing, but make sure that he knows that it is only appropriate to do it in either his bedroom or in the bathroom. It is okay to be curious, but you don't want to say something that will make him become shy about anything and cause a sexual anxiety in the future.

I don't understand this philosophy! Then you wonder WHY your child is having sex at age 14!
    Anonymous

• I just tell mine to get their hands out of their pants.... about 35 times a day! lol
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 6:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2009