Need of help any nurses out there?

Well I went to the doctors and they took blood work and they said my bad cholesterol was normal but my good cholesterol was to low and it was at 27 and it should be at 40.So my question is what kind of food should I eat to higher it and can you please give me a list.I thinks it's so low because I have been on a diet and I have only been eating veggies and small portion of meat and no carbs at all.I also have thyroid and type 2 diabetes and my diabetes was good.I just thought everything would be good since I have lost 28lbs.but if anyone can help please do!

tracey77978

Asked by tracey77978 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Health

• I think you should call your Dr.'s office and get that info.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Yup, best thing to do is call your doc's office and speak with a nurse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Eat more fiber – Replace your normal carbohydrates like white bread, pasta and rice with wholegrain or wholemeal carb foods. This exchange will benefit you in many ways. Eat more fruit and vegetables, oats, beans and pulses. A great tip for using more pulses and beans is to put a handful in casserole or soup recipes.

Eat oily fish such as salmon, mackerel, herrings, fresh tuna and sardines. Oily fish is a good source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids which help to increase good HDL levels.

Eat seeds with good oils such as flax seed oil and linseed oils, seeds like pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, and nuts like walnuts and almonds. These are all sources of Omega 3 Fatty Acids.

- Use polyunsaturated spreads and use olive oil (a mono-unsaturated fat) to cook with. These types of fats increase good cholesterol.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:48 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I am not a nurse, but I am a nurses assistant as well as a Phlebotomist, and as such I encounter questions like this fairly often. Without knowing any other specific healthy concerns you may have (other than DMII) the above is the best advice I can give.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:49 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Oh and one other thing - I made the switch from regular margarine to Smart Balance, and I love it! It has many more vitamins in it, and is the lowest in saturated fats.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:51 AM on Apr. 10, 2009