how do I get my oldest son to be nice to his lil brother

Every time I leave the room where my boys are happily playing , within a minute I hear the lil one crying and Ill return to the room to find my oldest sitting there like an angel so I tricked him and set my camera up just as I left the room and sure enogh Richie cryed and when I returned I reviewed the film and Mason shoved him over , Masons good with Richie when Im in eyes view but when I turn my back for a minute he totally gets mean , other than constantly superviseing , how can I get Mason to be nice to Richie when he thinks Im not looking

melissa33181

Asked by melissa33181 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I can't tell you. But, I believe it is completely normal for it all to be happening. I am a the youngest in my family and non of my siblings were nice to me until I was older! And even in that case it is not always true! My oldest being sister being 7 yrs. older than me (full blooded sister) it just isn't in the card! It sucks and it's the hard truth but I can tell you my mother tried like heck she even went as far as taping their hands together... they began to like and and would laugh and get along so i guess it works as a temporary fix.. but i wouldn't suggest it to children under 2. I will ave to look back here to see others answers and learn as well! Good Luck!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My parents used to spank us for doing that. If we picked on my little brother and when they came in the room asking what we did and we'd say nothing....then we got a spanking.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I agree with lilbit. I do that now. My oldest child is mean to her younger sister and brother. But sometimes its vice versa..lol..anytime they are alone and they fight. I usually try to see what the problem was, and if its an easy fix then fine, but if they are intentionally being mean, they get popped and sent to their room. But siblings always fight, but not all the time. I know they all love each other, but sometimes they just love to be mean too..lol
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My boys are 2 years and 1 day apart. My oldest does this too. Now I know that when he tries to make his little brother stop crying that its because he's done something wrong (like hit or shove). I tell him that I don't want to hear crying. I still come into the room with one sitting on the other. It drives me nuts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Apr. 11, 2009