To spank or not to spank? Where's the discipline in this country??

Some women take this to an extreme. I don't mean spanking as in beating the hell out of child's bottom. I don't think spanking is a bad thing. I think we live in a world now where it's obvious people are afraid to discipline their children. They fear anything would get them in trouble. Again I know some people beat their children, that's not what I'm talking about here. I don't think you should let your child walk all over you. I hear so many parents complain about how their kids talk to them or what they do to them. And when I ask them what they did about it...their response is always, "what can I do?" You're the PARENT!!! You are in charge of what goes on. The minute it's the other way around, then you're going to be lost.

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree. We spank, in patients love and with MUCH MUCH other teaching to go along with it.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:57 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• AMEN! You dont ever see my daughter back talk me or run all over me in public because I wont tolerate it. I spank! I will not allow my children to grow up thinking they can treat me any which way they want.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 11:59 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I will spank. Right now it is just a slight tap on the back of her hand, just to get her attention after I have already told her "no" 3 times. She knows what no means...she looks right at me and does whatever it is she isn't supposed to do, like she is testing me.

But I agree that spanking a child should never be out of anger, and it should just be one or two swats on the butt. Nothing that could constitute abuse. I refuse to have a child like the ones I see running around now, that OWN their parents like slaves. Its a load of BS.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:59 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I've never had a need to spank my children. Other forms of discipline worked for me..........time out, stern scolding, loss of privileges, etc.

I have a friend who spanks her children quite frequently. It has had no effect on their long term behavior. They still do the same things today they were spanked for last week. So what is the point?
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 12:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I do too. And I have found that as my kids get older the less they need it. My 7 yo gets his but busted maybe once every other month. It is not techinally the only form of discipline around here, but more to get their attention, and then there are always the talks afterwards of what rule was broken and what needs to be done differently.

A have a frined that spanks and she uses the "fear of God" approach as she calls it, and those kids will not listen unles you are beating the hell out of them. It is all about how and when yu use it as a parenting technique, and some people can use it to their advantage and some use it to the extent that it does mroe bad then good.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• the only time I was spanked as a child was from my babysitter and I told mom. she was never hired again. I dont plan on spanking my son. I've seen my friends hit their kids and I know it's just not the way i'll discipline. just not for me!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Dyndudes, that is very true. I know a parent whose kids get spanked alot, and it doesn't even phase them anymore. they go right on ahead. it seems they don't even care if they get punished because they know it won't be so bad in a few minutes....
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Every child is different and every child responds to different things.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 12:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I will try other forms but if he is really acting out then yes I will spank. I hate seeing kids acting CRAZY in public and the moms dont do anything. I was only spanked like 3 times as a child and I remember for what and believe me I NEVER acted out like that again. There is a difference between spanking and beating the hell out. Sometimes a kid just needs to be spanked.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I don't spank, but I will swat her bottom if she does something really bad or something I told her not to do. Sometimes, I will threaten, "Do you need a spanking?" If she is not listening, but I hardly ever have to. I try to use positive reinforcement as much as possible.
    Sitar21

Answer by Sitar21 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009