Mothers of little boys who like to play with there winkeys..help?!!

My son likes to grab it all the time, I tell him that its his and he can play with it as long as its in the bathroom or his room...But sometimes Icatch him doing it in pubic settings. I remind him that it stays in the bathroom, and try to redirect him, but my mother in law tells me that I should punish him, and by telling him its ok to play with it as long as its in privite Im setting him up to be a "sexual devient" she says the old saying "playing with it can make you go blind" is the best way to handle this situation because sex should be something that children fear. I dont agree with her as I see sex and touching yourself perfectly natural, but I wonder, is she right?!!

judith_visco

Asked by judith_visco at 12:58 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My boys do it all the time. It's nature. I don't encourage it, but I don't punish them either.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Wow your MIL sounds kind of crazy, no offense.. Let him play with it, he is young and only exploring. I think I would only find it inappropriate if hes got it hung out in public for all to see. If hes just got his hands in his pants, so what. Punishing a child for touching themselves will only do more harm than good.

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 1:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• thats what I thought?! I would never let him sit there and pull it out in public, but I see no problem with him explorin himself in his room or in the bathroom. after all it is his... My mother in law claims that when she was a child they were tought to fear sex and most of those children waited until marrage to have sex, where our generation was taught to be open and honest about it, and were taught about it in schools and homes, and all of us tured to be "sluts" and started having sex and babies earler and earler, while I see that she does have SOME truth with what she says I dont exactly believe its sex education and it being ok to talk about in home settings that did it as much as movies and magizines and books...idk..
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 1:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• NO SHE IS NOT RIGHT, YOU ARE! PERFECTLY NORMAL FOR HIM TO WANT TO EXPERIENCE HIS WINKEY. MY SON AT THAT AGE GOT REAL UPSET SOMETIMES IN THE MORNING WHEN HE WOKE UP IT WAS ERECT AND IT BOTHERED HIM AND YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE TROUBLE HE WENT THROUGH TO MAKE IT GO DOWN! PLEASE WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T LET HER TELL HIM THAT HE WILL GO BLIND IF HE DOES, THAT KIND OF STUFF STAYS WITH HIM FOREVER. YOU ARE DOING THE CORRECT THING WITH THIS SCENARIO, WAY TO GO MOM!

Answer by older at 1:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Ugh... My husband STILL does that lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I think you're on the right track mama. Don't pay any attention to your MIL. My boys haven't done it in public yet but do touch themselves at almost every diaper change. It's natural. Like stifflersmom said, don't encourage it, don't make a big deal out of it.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• embarrassedMy son is infatuated with his too, I have no idea what to do! He also loves to pee and #2 outside every chance he gets. The problem is he's curious and I have a 5yr old daughter that is too.So I have had to stop letting them bathe together and things like that. I have always wondered if  it were only my kids and what to do!

Tracy8184

Answer by Tracy8184 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My son plays with his at any opportunity as well. So far, not in public. I just ignore it. He's just learning about himself. I'd just nod politely and ignore your mother-in-law. She's making a pretty impressively large logic leap.. :)
    Anonymous