How do you stop a 2 year old from thowing food on the floor. And to actually eat her food.

baby_caleb2008

Asked by baby_caleb2008 at 1:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Feed her things she would rather eat than throw on the floor?? lol Idk, my daughter never did that.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 1:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I told mine that if the food was thrown that the meal was over. It took one time.

Answer by Bmat at 1:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• If she throws food on the floor then meal time is over. Keep being consistent with this and she will learn that food is for eating and not throwing on the floor. Children will not starve, she'll get it. GL

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My son doesn't really do that either but I know once he throws his fork or spoon - we are all done and he will have to wait to eat again -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my son does the same thing now that he turned 2 maybe its terrible 2's lol
    Anonymous

• I went through this with one of the twins. The first thing I'd do was end the meal. At the next meal, rather than give him a whole plate of food, I'd give it to him bite per bite from my plate and praise him for being a good boy, eating his food, and not throwing it on the floor. After a few meals like that I'd give him a plate with a few bites on it and keep up the praise. Then I'd go back to giving him a full plate. We did have to do this whole process a couple of times but he got the message.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• We also took the approach of ending the meal when the food started to fly. Giving him less at a time also seemed to help (needless to say, we didn't use a plate). We also found that he was more likely to throw when he was done with something. When that happened, we gave it back to him and told him he had to give it to us nicely. It should come as no big surprise but the first time we tried that, he promptly threw it again. Try holding it in his hand an walking him through the motion of giving it to you. When we ended meals early, if we thought he was still hungry, we'd give it 10 mintues or so then restart the meal. Use the same foods or it won't take him long to figure out this is a great exit from a poor menu!
    Anonymous

• Do NOT make her special things that she likes to eat just so she won't throw them on the floor. That simply teaches her to throw stuff she doesn't like.

If she throws her food, end the meal. After a couple of times, she'll get the message. You can save the plate and try again in 5 to 10 minutes if you want or make her wait to the next meal. Your choice.

Have 3 set meal and 2 set snack times during the day. Do not give her anything to eat and no milk to drink outside of those times. It was amazing how often I found myself offering a snack to my daughter and then wondering why she wasnt' hungry at meal time... duh! I filled her up on goldfish and milk!

If she refuses the food, let her. Going hungry won't hurt her and it will teach her the natural consequences of refusing good food - hunger.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2009