LDS? What is the requirement for LDS maternity and nursing clothes? And Why?

So today on Freecycle I saw this listing and had never heard of LDS maternty and nursing clothes.

"Offered: LDS maternity and nursing clothes- Pear Park
I don't want to destroy these, but I don't need them anymore. If interested,
please tell me what ward you are in when you reply so I can verify that you are
LDS."

What exactly is the requirement and what is the purpose of it? And is there a requirement to pass them along to another LDS mom or destroy them?
Thanks. This is just a curiosity.

Nathskitten

Asked by Nathskitten at 1:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• They are specially made out of regular materials.

Only members of the LDS faith who have been through the temple can wear them. They are a symbol of the covenants made when you go through the temple. So they are very special to the LDS people.

BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 4:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• huh
    Anonymous

•  I am not sure but I imagine it is just the special undergarment some tend to wear, not a nursing/maternity thing only. But being that some Mormons wear special underwear, obviously the nursing/pregnant moms need to have adapted sizes etc. I am sure the mother doesn't want to risk giving them to a non LDS because they are especially for people of that faith. It is very thoughtful of her to give them to a needy LDS mom.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 1:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• There are no special maternity or nursing wear for LDS - there are several sites that offer "modest" wear if you google LDS maternity. She was probably referring to maternity sized underwear called "garments".
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Im relatively sure they were referring to garments not regular type clothing.

There are no requirements for regular clothes other than to be modest in your dress.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 2:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• What are the garments? Are they blessed by a holy person? Are they sewn by special people? Made of a special of cloth?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• This should explain garments to you :

http://www.mormon-underwear.com/
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2009