I am so scared of having my water break in public... did yours? Plus a TMI q

The thing that I am most nervous about (as of today!) is my water breaking out in public. How many of you had this happen?

Now, for the TMI q...

I am also nervous about having a BM while giving birth. Do they give you something to clean you out, or do I need to do find something over the counter, when I feel I'm getting close?!

Cookie1124

Asked by Cookie1124 at 1:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My SIL is a labor/delivery nurse. She said that they have seen it all and they are happy when a mom poops because they know she is pushing the right way.

As to the water breaking in public...I never had it happen, but I do not think that it would be bad. I mean it is clear fluid. I would try not to worry to much about it. If you think about the amount of time you are out in public and the amount of time you are at home/driving/at your mom/friends houses, the chances of your water breaking in public are pretty slim. Also remember that most women go into labor first and then their water breaks so you should have plenty of time to get out of public before your water breaks.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• almost every woman that has a vag birth has bm while giving birth. cold hard truth! when you are there doing it you will not know and you will not really care for all that matters. doc broke my water so idk..
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my hospital fed me ice and popsicles all day i think that might've been to prevent a BM.
    i was nervous about that too.. but lucky for me i didn't have one...

but it really shouldn't be a big deal if you do.. like first poster said.. a LOT of women do.. and that fact that no one talks about it makes it seem like it doesn't happen often but it does.

doctors won't care... and you wont.. not after hearing your baby cry for the first time.
    Anonymous

• Both times my water broke while I was at home, laying down (one I was watching TV, the other I was asleep). It is usually not as big of a gush as you are probably thinking. The baby's head is usually down their kind of plugging it up, and it is more of a leak that continues than one big gush.
    Lots of people go most of the way through labor w/o the water breaking.
    As for the poop, the Dr. will just wipe it away and won't even day anything.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I didn't realize it was my water, and we went walking at the mall. My shorts were soaked by the time we got back to the car! We still thought it was urine. Nope, I was leaking!
    Most women poop in the table when they push; it's a sign you're pushing right! You can't really do anything about it. When a friend of mine gave birth, I videoed it for her. I was right up in there, and the way the nurse had the towel, I couldn't tell you if she pooped or not. It's such a regular part of birth, it's not worth stressing over. The nurses are so used to it, it's not a big deal. When I pooped, I laughed, because I could smell it! LOL TMI, I know.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Only 1-2 out of 10 womens water breaks on its own, so its not that common =] As for the BM, I believe that they used to give enemas, but I think it's been found that they don't always work (You could google it). Having a BM during childbirth is normal and nobody would be surprised. When you are actually in the process of labor I'm sure it will be the last thing on your mind =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2009