can I sue the hospital?

I have a c section 3 1/2 weeks ago, well now finally i got it, because my stitches ( which were suposed to be dissolvable) were emerging out of my body, yes this hurt alot ! I had puss comming out of it , and everything, so they took the stitching that was emerging, and cut it , and gave me anti biotics to cure the infection, well i got home and 4 more stitches came out , so i just cut them myself. it is healing but I asked the hospital to NOT let an intern touch me ,and my scar is NOT pretty like my first scar was its a total hack job, i'm thinking the interns did it , and I also heard a " whoops, lets not do that again on the other side of the curtain when i was being stitched. so .. can I sue them, it looks horrible, its painful, infected, and the pills they gave me is making me sick . headache, flu like symptoms.. you know sore, fever ect.
I can't even breastfeed my daughter now ! i need to pump cause i'm so weak!dammit!!

Sunshine172

Asked by Sunshine172 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Health

• I even put specifically in my birth plan " don't mind interns WATCHING but they are NOT allowed to touch me "
    Sunshine172

Answer by Sunshine172 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• First off you have to find out if an intern actually did your stitches.
    Anonymous

• Just because your stitches are infected doesn't mean an intern touched you.
    Anonymous

• the problem with the whole interns not touching you is if it is a teaching hospital that is what it is for and alot have policies about that. as for the other stuff call a lawyer and see if you have a case against the dr that did the surgery, not so much the hospital i wouldn't think at least.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Well, first let me tell you I am sorry that his happen to you. I hope I hope you wil feel better to be able to take care of your little one. Congratulations in the birth of your child and I am assuming she/he is okay. Regarding your question, I will talk with a malpractice attorney. I am not sure if there was any negligence or wrong doing on anybody's part but I am sure an attorney can answer those questions for you. Let me reiterate, I hope you improve and that everything gets better.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 1:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• When consulting with a lawyer you should first of all get a copy of your hospital record read every single page, check the "typos" you do not understand and leave it for the lawyer (they have experts to read medical records). Do not say any conclusive like "i want to sue the hospital because of" let the lawyer read your hospital record along with your statement (be very careful of what you say) and let the lawyer decide what the hospital did wrong.
    LolaMateos

Answer by LolaMateos at 2:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I dont think you can, i am sure in all the papers you sign it talks about risk of infection and all that, plus it is your word against theirs if an intern actually touched you.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:53 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I dont think you can sue.. With Csections there are risks of infections, you probley signed a paper stating you understood this .. As for how well they did your belly, this was a surgery to remove a baby from your body, it was not a plastic surgery- that is what they will say.. also I dont think they HAVE to follow your birth plan to a T... Its more like a "suggestion" page from you.... Your dr should obey your wishes, but legally speaking, a birth plan isnt a contract.
    Anonymous

• I would talk to a lawyer, but I really don't think you can sue. There is always a chance of infection with any type of surgery, they go over that with you beforehand and you always sign a paper that says you are aware of it(even if you didn't read it, you did sign something to that effect, I'm sure). As for the scar not being pretty, well, scars generally aren't pretty. That's not really a reason to sue. IF an intern did in fact work on you when you specifically asked that they not, that may be cause for a lawsuit, but first you would have to prove an intern worked on you, and then that the intern is responsible for the infection, etc. and probably you would also have to prove they caused it by negligence. You should talk to a lawyer if you really want to try to sue, but myself personally, would just enjoy the beautiful new baby that I have and not go to that hospital for the next one. Congrats on the new baby!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Sue for freaking what exactly? You had a surgery and have a scar? I'm sorry honey, they aren't plastic surgeons. And incision sites get infected every day. They did nothing wrong. As far as the interns, if you were so damn adament about it, sounds like you wouldn't have went to a teaching hospital. You sound more to me like someone who went into this looking for a reason to sue. Take care of your baby and get over it.
    Anonymous