Thunderstorms and other irrational fears

I LOVE watching them, hearing them, etc... but I'm still very scared of them. I've never been through anything traumatic with them. No storms that led to tornados or anything....but I literally become like a 10 year old that has to curl up with her parents. My husband laughs but pulls me close when I wimper. Go figure....anyone else have irrational fears like this?

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I love thunderstorms, but I'm not afraid of them. My friend acts funny during storms, they don't bother me one bit. In fact, I like to open the windows so that I can hear them.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I still don't like when fire trucks blow their horn in parades. It scares me!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I wouldnt call that an irrational fear. Around here a Severe thunderstorm can cause serious problems. Trees down, power out, house damage. ect

And when talking about a tornado, those can be VERY serious. Those freak me out and we have them a lot. It makes you feel out of control b/c you cant control what happens. I wish we had a storm shelter.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Me, too, mom2twobabes!
    We have had tornadoes hit near our home and I am really afraid of them!
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i feel the same way i love to watch them but im still really scared.
    Anonymous

• I have SOOOOO many...some of my stranger ones...flocks of birds, including water fowl. Bugs of any kind, but mainly spiders...I actually jump out of bed in the middle of the night when I have nightmares about them! Also, I hate to ride in the car when it is windy I think the stop lights are going to fall on my car or a sign is going to fly off the pole and cut my head off. I cannot stand cracks in the cement, I absolutly cannot step on them! As you can tell I have generlized anxiety disorder and OCD! LOL!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 1:48 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I have an irrational fear of bridges..any kid of bridge really..i can barely walk across one without breaking out in a cold sweat, and getting nervous, walking faster to reach the other side etc..God forbid a truck go passed and jar the bridge a bit! I've been this way since I was little.
    AshleyRoseG

Answer by AshleyRoseG at 1:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• when we lived in MS i couldn't stand the thunderstorms, not so much the thunder just the lightening. we lost two tvs, a computer, and had the power out sooo many times b/c it struck near or on the house. in VA it's not as bad so it doesn't bother me...but if you want to talk about irrational fears, i hate the dark, i still use a nightlight
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I am terrified of heights even if i'm just standing on a chair to reach for something i feel like i'm going to pass out. I hate it. Thunderstorms kinda scare me too but i really do like listening to them. Luckily here in phoenix we only get them every once in a great while unless it's the monsoon season.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 2:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• storms don't really bother me...however, I do get scared of the dark still somtimes!

and I have a friend (grown woman, mind you) that is afraid of zombies. she's a little wierd though....lol
    LilMamaKatie

Answer by LilMamaKatie at 2:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2009