Glucose screening a "little high"?

I don't know how the other one got in the wrong category-- blame pregnancy brain...
Ok so my glucose screening came back a little high and I need to do the three hour test at the hospital monday.
What can I expect at the hospital? what can I expect if it is high again?

Thanks in advance!

LuckyClown

Asked by LuckyClown at 1:48 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If it is high again then they will probably diagnose you with gestational diabetes, and have you follow a stricter diet to get it under controll. But with it just being a little high, then I would assume the next one shgould be okay. Did you eat anything before the other test, that can cause it to go up a little. At the 3 hour they will have you fast the night before, and come in, take blood, drink the stuff and take blood every hour for 3 hours. Alot of people pass the 3 hour that failed the 1 hour. I think you will be fine since the 1 hour was "a little" high and not extremely high. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Expect to be bored! LOL! I had to do the 3 hour one too and it came back normal. They take blood 4 times. Once when you start the test fasting, then they have you drink the gross sugar drink and take it again every hour for 3 hours.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 1:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I did eat beforehand. The instructions specifically say not to eat anything AFTER drinking the ickiness... I had a bowl of banana nut cheerios... I bet that is what increased the number and I probably will have a normal result this time.

I still had an awful headache and felt really icky after the test- I drove home and at one stop light I swear I was moving but my foot was firmly on the brake... sigh... I don't wanna.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 1:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• The three hour test will be just like the first one except they will draw your blood before you drink that crap, one hour after, two hours after and again three hours after.
    I would just eat some fruit or something like a few hours before you go in. You dont want to eat a big meal or something with a lot of carbs because that will throw off your numbers. If its high again they will probably teach you about carb counting and put you a sticter diet until the baby is born.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2009