How do you stay the bigger person when someone treats you like shit and you still have to be around them????

I have a person that is unavoidable through family and owes me money yet refuses to pay or acknowledge her part of barrowing money deal. How do I stay the bigger person when I see her its really affecting my attitude.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• You have to let it go. Take it as a life lesson. Never lend money you can't afford to lose. Avoid business with family members. Your money is history. Now you know exactly what kind of person she is capable of being. Own it and move on with your life. If you don't it just puts the power in her hands, refuse to let her have the satisfaction that she bothers you. I'm not saying be friendly...but be cordial. Say hello and move on. I know it's hard..but you will feel better inside if you can just let it go.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• aviod them if you can if you can't and it bothers you that bad you need to say something to them i'm not very good at biting my tounge but i have in the past folded my arms and everytime i wanted to say something bad id pinch the underside of my arm but i kept bruising myself good luck i feel like i don't HAVE to be around anyone if they piss me off that bad i keep away. i went through something similar w/ one of my cousins and my mother got mad so i explained to her if i come to the picnic im going to make a huge deal and embarass you so its better i stay home send every one BUT HER my love
    Anonymous

• When you see her, breath deeply and walk away.

Do you proof that she borrowed the money? If you do, take her to small claims court.
    Anonymous

• if it was like $20 i would just forget it... if it was like... a loan for a car... you should probably have had her sign a paper before handing her the money. i know that doesn't help for now.. but in the future it would be something you could use against her in court if you ever plan to go that far.

for me.. it helps to ignore/overlook the person's behavior.. treat her like you would a spoiled brat. if she asks for anything else.. tell her you won't because she still hasn't paid you back for the last thing.
    but do it all in kindness and respect.. self control.
    Anonymous

• Throw on a ski mask and beat the shit out of her. Problem solved.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• If you have to be around them, just greet them. I think that's all that is required. You don't have to act like you are best friends. I would just be polite, answer if asked a question, and let it go at that.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I am in that same situation. Our's isn't money related though, we just see very differently about things and don't get along. She's in my fiance's family so for family get together's we have to deal with each other but it is hard. She bugs me, and even though I try to be civil, it's hard when she doesn't know the definition of civil. It's hard, but just try to avoid her. I try to talk to other family members and keep my distance so that comments don't start flying :).
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• You just confront her and if she does not want to pay than take her to Judge Judy. DO NOT let it go on and on.
    I had to cut off a sister and I do feel better.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:18 AM on Apr. 11, 2009