Are lesbians/gays infringing on religious rights?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30146878/

Lawsuits are appearing based on refusal of services by religious individuals against gay marriage. Churches, shrinks, IVF docs, etc. Should they be protected from such lawsuits, because the lesbian/gay could always find another service provider, or should the religious person's definition of "moral" be ignored? Don't most states protect pharmacies who refuse to fill morning after pills? Why shouldn't other professions be protected as well? (If they're not protected, sorry, I thought they were) :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Shrinks most definately should be, they are doctors for goodness sakes. That would be like an MD that wouldn't treat you because you were gay.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I think that if you are a professional that offers services-yet don't for certain things-like pharmacists-you should have your own store with your policies posted clearly for all to see.

I don't think that a pharmacist who works for a large company-like walgreens or walmart-should be allowed to implement their beliefs into providing services. They should not be allowed to discriminate because of their beliefs. If you cannot fulfill your duties-you should find a different job.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• "Battles are increasingly including private businesses." the article states.
    Anonymous

• IMO a persons 'morals' should be ignored for the things you listed. I have to ignore mine at my job and in other situations frequently.

It is about civil rights... everyone is entitled to fair/equal rights. A person has no right, especially in the workplace to decide on what is morally right or wrong and refuse services because they disagree with a lifestyle choice.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 2:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I think if you belong to a large chain of pharmacies (CVS, Walgreens, etc) or a hospital....you know, a place where someone else is in charge, you can't put your beliefs on others. However, if you are in private practice, I think you should be able to do that. But of course they'd have to know they'd lose some business by doing that.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Most certainly, Gays and lesbians intentionally find places that are against this practice and will ask for their services with the threat of a lawsuit if they refuse. I think that is bullying personally. One day in the day care I worked at, a lesbian couple came in and wanted to scope out the facility. I gave them the tour and explained the curriculum no problem, but I did tell them what we believed as far as homosexuality is concerned and children are taught that this lifestyle is unacceptable. Personally, I know it was a set up just to see how we were going to handle this situation. I knew for a fact that this couple was fully aware of our beliefs but just wanted to try intimidate us.  There are gay/lesbians ministers and churches why go to places of worship where we discourage this lifestyle?

mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• If you are accepting insurance then I don't think you should impose your personal beliefs on anyone. If you do infringe then you should loose those insurance providers.
    Anonymous

• I have to add... I think the lawsuits are great. People need to stand up for their rights.

Everyone has different morals. What would be the limit to these people not granting human rights to everyone equally?
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 2:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Umm Mommiejay if that is a private daycare? Meaning can anyone use the services? Do you recieve any type of government funding? If yes to questions 2 and three you can not say that.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I think that if you are going to a doctor or pharmacist or anything else that doesn't (and shouldn't) have religion involved, you should be given service regardless of your sexual orientation. To deny that right is wrong on so many levels. Besides, why is it your pharmacists business who you're sleeping with?

Now, about the churches . . . I am not saying they're right, but if you are going to a church to be married by a preacher that doesn't support gay marriage, and you fight it . . . well, all you are doing is stirring up unnecessary drama. Why not do your research first? Find a church that welcomes everyone regardless of orientation - Church of Christ, Episcopalian, and some Methodist churches for example. Or better yet, a Unitarian church. Or, if you're not religious, a justice of the peace? Why feel the need to start drama?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2009