Are lesbians/gays infringing on religious rights? {piof}

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30146878/

Lawsuits are appearing based on refusal of services by religious individuals against gay marriage. Churches, shrinks, IVF docs, etc. Should they be protected from such lawsuits, because the lesbian/gay could always find another service provider, or should the religious person's definition of "moral" be ignored? Don't most states protect pharmacies who refuse to fill morning after pills (based on religion?) Why shouldn't other professions be protected as well? (If they're not protected, sorry, I thought they were) :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that if you are a professional that offers services-yet don't for certain things-like pharmacists-you should have your own store with your policies posted clearly for all to see.

I don't think that a pharmacist who works for a large company-like walgreens or walmart-should be allowed to implement their beliefs into providing services. They should not be allowed to discriminate because of their beliefs. If you cannot fulfill your duties-you should find a different job.

(post this here, too)
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• "Battles are increasingly including private businesses." the article states
    Anonymous

• NO, I DON'T THINK THEY ARE THEY JUST WANT TO BE TREATED EQUALLY.

Answer by older at 2:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• This should have been posted yesterday during my is porn a political issue. Many posters seem to think that you can't legislate morality but actually you can and we do. All of our laws were founded on the beliefs, values and morals of christianity. Laws regarding gay marriage, polygamy, abortion, rape, incest, child porn are ever changing because those laws have to reflect the social "norm" of the current time period. One part of this is religious expression and the other part is discrimination. Each lawsuit will be decided differently because not all judges have the same views.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I think a church should be able to refuse to do a gay marriage but they should loose their tax exempt status if they do so. If it's not ok to refuse service for race or sex it should not be allowed because of sexual orientation.
    Anonymous

• I think a church should be able to refuse to do a gay marriage but they should loose their tax exempt status if they do so

That is absolutely terrifying. Do you even understand why churches are tax exempt?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

------------------------------
    I agree and add that any one including doctors, hospitals,pharmacies etc that receive any type of gov. funding or participate in any gov program (Medicaid, Medicare etc) should not be allowed to discriminate against anyone.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 2:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Should a mosque that refuses to let an employee bring ham for lunch be refused tax exempt status? Should a synagogue that refuses to have a Saturday afternoon wedding lose it's tax exempt status?

Legislating what a religion is and is not allowed to believe pretty much nullifies the first amendment.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:53 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• comparing lunch with essential health services and civil rights is totally out there. I couldn't care less what anyone has for lunch however if an organization is choosing to discriminate and refuse some one their right to marriage then they should not be exempt. today is because their gays tomorrow it will be because of the color of their skin. oh wait that already happened and it was a civil right violation and it still is.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 2:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• and can you give me a link of a mosque that regulates what its employee eat?

also no one is legislating what a religion is/not allowed to believe. believe what you want but if you want to discriminate against any group of people then don't get any type of help from the government.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 3:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2009