Can A 8 Month Old..

I have an 8 month old son and he has been in what I consisder throwing fits because I dont let him have things or do things he shouldnt... I was just wondering if there is something I can do to stop this or if this is just something I get to live with for the next 10 years or so of my life.. And was it something I did that cause's him to do this or is it just a baby thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• this is normal! my son, almost a 1, has been starting to throw tantrums if we take something away he shouldnt have, or if we are simply leaving the store and he grabbed something within his reach. at this young age, babies are just curious and grab whatever is in their reach and looks interesting. they dont quite understand NO and if its taken away it's like the end of the world. but your baby will get over it, especially once he is old enough to understand he can play with it later, or he cant touch it because it might hurt, or it has to be paid for first.... etc.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Nope it is a kid thing. But try to put a stop to it now or you will have to live with it for years to come. When he does it just say no firmly, and move him away from the situation, hand him another toy he is allowed to play with or put him somewhere he is safe to be at. And ignore the screaming if he keeps it up. But dont give in, babies this age sre already smart enough to know if they are given into that the fits work and they keep them up stronger than ever, no means no.
    Anonymous

• At this age, he doesn't have the self control not to protest when you take away something he wants. With our 7 month old, I still tell him it's okay, it's not a big deal. Try distracting him from the thing you took away or the thing he wanted to do; that works well for us.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My son started "tantrums" like this at 7 months - while I would get him out of the bath he'd kick and scream while I changed him - he wanted to get up and crawl around - but I didn't let him - I didn't want to try to run around and chase him while trying to put a diaper on etc.. after a while month, he finally realized that he wasn't going to win - that as soon as I finished, he could go play.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Yeah, totally normal kid thing. The best thing to do is distract them from the situation and get their mind off what they are longing for! I usually sing a song, get a favorite book or toy, and then sit my daughter down somewhere away from the thing she's not supposed to have/get into. Their attention spans are short enough that you can usually make them forget what they wanted in the first place.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Nope it's a kid thing. My daughter is 10 months old and does it i think it is so funny. She get's even more mad when i laugh but i just tell her she's acting silly and that's not how you get your way. I know she doesn't understand completely yet but she's getting the picture.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 3:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• He is expressing his displeasure - a normal and natural thing for anyone of any age to do. We just have learned that throwing a fit is not the way to do it!

Just don't give in and try to ignore the fit behavior. The more you try to talk him out of it or even scold him to make him stop, the more he will do it since you are giving him attention. And the more you give in to the fit and give him what he wants, the more you teach him that this is a good way to deal with disappointment.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My 9 month old does that. She's pretty good though, we distract her after saying "no". And we dont give her too many restrictions. We keep the apartment perfectly baby proof, its just the cords that we tell her no to so she usually listens.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 5:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2009