Cake In a Box.. How to improve it?

So I am going to try to make cupcakes for inlaws for easter... I just bought the box stuff since im not good in baking, but Im wondering if there is something I can add to it that will kick it up a notch? maybe make it more moist, or something..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My family adds a box of pudding mix to the cake batter. It is so easy and so moist and tasty!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my mom adds sourcream to her cake mix, but I am not sure to what ratio. It does make it more moist though.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• if you replace each egg with 1/4cup applesauce it will make it more moist. Youll have to fill the holes fuller than you normally would because it wont rise as much though.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• If you want to add flavor then you can add cinnamon or nutmeg and ginger, applesauce instead of eggs, or even a box of flavored jello. Pudding works too. You can add nuts or raisins or anything of that nature. Depends on what your looking for. Good luck.
    HALJUBOORI

Answer by HALJUBOORI at 2:42 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• LOL! Experimenting with recipes when the in-laws are coming isn't a good idea. LOL!!!! If you want to make it special, decorate with something different. I love what Sandra Lee (the semi-homemade lady) does with decorative frosting in tubes. She runs lines side by side across the top of the cupcake and then takes a toothpick and draws it crossways across the lines to make a wave effect, then the opposite direction from those. But dropping some pastel little shake decorations on the frosting would be special, too.

Answer by Bmat at 2:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• http://bakingdesserts.suite101.com/article.cfm/too_busy_to_bake_from_scratch
    peggy353

Answer by peggy353 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• If it is chocolate, substitute 1/4 cup of the water with Bailey Irish Cream. Add about 6 chopped Andies candies and bake as directed. The alcohol bakes out and the cupcakes are moist and yummy!!!! I use buttercream frosting from a can. Add colored sugars for a festive touch. My 12 1/2 yr old LOVES these cupcakes. As a matter of fact, while I was in the shower last night, he ate 5 of t hem!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Instead of using all vegetable oil, I use half vegetable oil and half OLIVE oil. It makes it taste really rich and moist.
    divakristi

Answer by divakristi at 5:47 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I was going to say olive oil too! It makes it so moist and yummy!!!!
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 11:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2009