Why would a woman drive by and take pics of my house incognito?

I just saw a woman drive up to my house with her window open and take a picture, then drive a bit more and turn back and take another picture and then she sped off down the road. Why on EARTH would someone do this? I'm totally freaked.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 2:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• This is so strange - I have had the exact same thing happen. Moved into my house in October and had someone drive by taking a picture of our house only on the block - not the cutest on the block by any means and nothing special done with the landscaping, etc. Just today another person, this time a male drove by, took a picture of our house and sped off. I was able to get the plate for the vehicle and called the police. They said it was odd, but not illegal. They said they'd keep an eye out for the car and to call 911 if it happens again. Not sure why someone would do this. We contacted the city to confirm there were no work orders etc outstanding. VERY odd and VERY freaked out.
    oliver1

Answer by oliver1 at 12:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• maybe she thinks its a nice house?
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Maybe they like your house. Is it pretty?...they may be trying to get flowers, house designs or siding like yours. I can totally ee my mom doing that..taking a pic to show my dad "this is the color door a I want with this siding."
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I had someone do this one time and I found out later that it was a man from the insurance company updating our home insurance file. LOL

Also, sometimes if someone is selling of buying a house around your area they do comparison prices. Could be that. But usually they just use other listings.

I was freaked out for a while. Now that I look back its funny.

Call and check with your home insurance company.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Well, we just moved in last October and all insurance was taken care of then, even picture taking. Our house is not pretty, its a bilevel with the blandest landscaping possible in a neighborhood full of much prettier homes, nothing is even in bloom yet. I watched her drive down the street and she didn't take pictures of anyone else's home. I could understand most of the reasons you guys listed, but she was going so fast and was ready, she came here on purpose. I just don't get it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I would still call and check with your insurance company. Since you moved so recently, they may have lost the picture or needed a better shot. Its worth the call just to be able to relax about it.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• maybe your husband hired a PI :p
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Maybe they used to live there
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Watch your back! J/K
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Do you have any neighbor disputes? I have seen people take picture to"back their case" in times of dispute.Or maybe she was mistaken in photographing your house and was suppose to do another.Scary though if you think about it!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2009