neighbors dogs in my trash

It is driving me crazy! But he is a really good neighbor besides the fact that he doesnt keep his dogs locked up, they are not viscous dogs, but wont stay out of my trash. And I have a LO in diapers still, so they are shredding the diapers all over my and his yard. His just had sewer work done to his yard and they had to take out part of his fence to get a backhoe back there, and they didnt put it back up secure enough. I have talked to him about it, and he tries but they still are out of control. But because he is a good neighbor I am having trouble how to do this in a civil manner, if this is the worst thing he will evr do I am grateful. Anything I can do without calling the pound? I clean up the mess in my yard, but let him clean up his own, but I am tired of cleaning up stuff that is not my dogs doing it. I have a lid on my trash cans and they still manage to get them open.

AK_aries

Asked by AK_aries at 2:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Pets

• I hate that. Ugggg...

My dad used 2 x 4's and built a small garbage can corral (for lack of better word. lol

It is on the side of the house and has a small door on the side to put the cans in and out of and it has a lock on it.

Dogs in their neighborhood are stumped. LOL
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Put some mouse traps on top of the trash. You could even glue them to the top of the lid. The dogs will quickly get the message to stop getting in the trash cans.
    If they are big enough to get in a closed trash can then a little mouse trap shouldn't hurt them. It will scare them though which is the point.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• trach cans and bungy cords a trash box they would both fix it. easy peasy
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• If you want ot be nice but have already said something...I don't know what else you can do. I would put a large rock or something heavy enough they can't get in it. I wouldn't do anything to hurt the dogs because then he can charge you for vet bills, etc. and could start a rocky relationship with your neighbor too.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Put the trash cans in the front of the house on the side. or build a box for your trash cans and secure them down so they cant knock it over. or put bungee straps over the trash can lids and attach them to the handels.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 4:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I know how you feel, we live, way out in the country, but ii keep those big black trash cans around side of the house so i don't have to go to the dump for every sack. Anyways, the neighbors dogs sometimes wonder, or coyotes sometimes come up and masacre the trash. I started doing the bungy cord idea . You just have to make sure your cans have handles on both sides and not just on one side ot that wont work, and still sometimes they manages to get that thing off there. Basically if i get the cord on there nice and tight, all they can do is roll the can around. But if it is the lest bit lose, they manage to get it off. So try that, and get it real tight and secure and let them roll it around if they comeover. Maybe they will get board when they can't get the trash and quit coming over. What does he say when you confronted him about it? Are they not getting into his trash . Maybe sneak over there and tear his up. just kidding.
    Anonymous

• Where is your neighbor's garbage, just out of curiosity? How come his dogs aren't destroying his property? Do you have a garage or shed or mud room? Or any place that you could store the cans or bags until trash day? I know that sounds really icky but it can't be worse than picking up diapers off the front yard!! Would you neighbor be will to help with the cost of cords or anything? Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2009