Taking away bottle

I have a question about taking away the bottle by a year old. Why is this so important? You would never tell a breast feeding woman that she had to stop breast feeding at a year, so why do I have to take away my daughter's bottle? We only use it for naps and bedtime and she takes a sippy at meals. I've been really thinking about this and I thought maybe there is some medical reason babies should quit the bottle by a year. Or is it just moms wanting to get rid of it? If you didn't stop at a year, when did you? And was it your child's decision or did you eventually wean them off at a later date?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Bottles after a year are not a problem if used properly. THe problem arises when kids are allowed to walk around with bottle hanging from their mouths. The fluids sit on the back of the teeth and can cause decay. This is the same reason they shouldn't go to be with the bottle, rather eat, then lay down. Neither of these can be done with the breast. Another problem is the potential for shifting of the teeth. Again, this is done over time and is typically contriubted to by thumb sucking, pacifiers and bottle nipples. I'm not sure if nursing would affect it as well, but I'd imagine nursing isn't as often and the kid can't walk around with it in their mouth.

Nothing else comes to mind, but there are problably other reasons.
    Anonymous

• My daughter was off of her bottle by a year. I just threw it away one day and told her she needs to use her sippy cup and she was fine with it and has used it ever since. I just threw her sippy cup away today because she can drink out of a big peoples cup and is potty trained except at night. So I threw it away so that I can finally get her off of the diapers at bedtime. The reason you should take your baby off the bottle is because it can cause them to have really bad teeth. Having milk lay on them at night will only do damage even if you have brushed there teeth before hand. I also watched on a show that kids who stay on the bottle longer, run a higher chance of needing braces when they get older. So you need to just throw it away and tell your child that it's time to be a big girl. She might cry for a night or two but she eventually won't even miss it. Good luck.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 2:42 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I didn't get rid of my son's bottle until he was almost 3! he wouldn't eat or sleep without it and i needed sleep so i would give in. I finally got him off of it when i had my daughter because he didn't want to be like a baby anymore. I think it will be easier with my daughter because she is only 10 months old and has used a sippy cup since she was 6months old. She only takes her bottle for naps or bedtime. My son wouldn't take a sippy cup even when i hid his bottle. He started losing weight because i kept trying to take it away and he would refuse to eat so i stopped trying. Everyone is different.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 3:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I agree with anon above. The problem is kids walking around with the bottle with the liquid in their mouth. This, BTW is also a problem with those no-spill sippy cups. I see no problem with continuing to let her have the bottle few times a day as part of the routine, just like breastfeeding a toddler.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• the third answer makes sense to me!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:53 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• OP here, thank you guys! That was my thought, too, that it wasn't that bad b/c she doesn't fall asleep with the bottle in her mouth and she never has it otherwise. I just didn't know what the big deal was and I've been hearing SO much about how I HAVE to wean her from the bottle like a minute after she turns one!
    Anonymous