Help With Timeout

When I put my child in time out how do I get him to stay in time out because he keeps on getting up and I have to put him back in. It literally takes 1 hour for him to calm down and stay in time out. Is there any other technique I can use for him to calm down quicker?

anna345

Asked by anna345 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know how you feel, I spend the whole time sitting him back down, let me know if you get that answer.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Just keep doing it, the time will get shorter and he will get it! It is hard but of you r dont follow threw he will run all over you they know!!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• It seems like Ive tried everything and nothing works.AHHHHHHHHHHHAHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    anna345

Answer by anna345 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• We make our son stand in the corner too. We tell him to put his nose in the corner and hands behind his back. If he takes his timeout like a big boy he get out quicker. If not he will have to stand there longer until he learns.
    Anonymous

• Well... if my kids are in time out and they get out without being told they can come out... they get a spanking.... other then for whineing... they get to let themselves out once they stop. It works and we don't have any issues with them getting out.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I would literally watch him. make sure he is in the same room as you are for the corner. as soon as he starts to move tell him to stop. whatever you have to do, but be consistent. Also, don't let him out till he calms down.

we make my SS stay in the corner for one minute for each year he is old - but they have to be quiet minutes. so when he is crying and playing around those minutes don't count.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• it is hard but yuo HAVE to be consistant. when you put him in time out stand right there so he can't get up or get out of time out.let him know that his time does not start until he is quiet and still and that you are ready to stay there all day if you have to. once his time is up remove him form the set time out spot and discuss why he was put in time out. time out should only be 1 minute per year for example 3 min for a 3 yr old and 4 min for a 4 yr old. BUt again that time does not start til they are still and quiet . In my house if the kid talks once the time has started the time starts over again. even if they only have a few seconds left it starts over. Just keep with it and he will eventually realize he can't win , he can't push those buttons and he will stand there for his time.
    Disneymom1218

Answer by Disneymom1218 at 11:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2009