Does your mother -in -law do this?

Ever just go into your house (when your not there) and do stuff like your laundry, make your bed, dishes. straiten up? They dont' live by us right now, but they are fixing up the house right next to us. We live in the country and the property has a n extra house on it that needs work. So they go over there on pretty days and work on it. I went home at lunch because i forgot something. And they had already been there and left, but MIL had gone in our house and did a load of laundry (that is all that was dirty) , made our bed, and washed what dishes were in the sink. I don't necissarily mind it because i know she is just trying ot help, but sometimes it would be nice to know it they are going to go inside in case i left something personal out or something that you know i don't want anyone to see. and we don't lock out house because we live in the middle of nowhere. Plus, they would have a key anyways. Ever happen to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• YES! But mine will make comments on all of it too! She "helps" because as she says..."You don't do it right" to me. I HATE IT! But I don't get along with her at all...
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i wish, but my mil is lazy lol.... my mom has cleaned out my laundry room for me b4 & i didn't care, my mom's cool
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Sadly, no. I wish she would! I hate cleaning with a passion, so I would LOVE it if she came over and cleaned for me!
    southenrmunchkn

Answer by southenrmunchkn at 2:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I do lock our house, but my DH gave his parents a key because they live on the next road over and he has been a good one to lock himself out. One time with stuff in the over and his father took the front door apart (still has air leaks) to get in. People have spare keys for our house, just he flipped because the house (brand new house too) could have burnt because I didn't give his parents a key. Well he blames the dog on locking him out by the way. I told him that if I ever found out that they go into my house when I am not there that I would flip. When I am there and she used to come over she would start picking my stuff up and moving it around so I couldn't find things. Then she always swept the one spare bathroom where the cat's litter box is and then told everyone that she cleaned my house. I can sweep and the cat will still walk out onto her mat and seem to get litter on the floor.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• No, but I could walk into her house anytime I wanted to. If it bothers you, tell her that you would at least like her to tell you when she is going to be at the other house so you can have refreshments there for them if they need them. If you tell them that, she won't know you are really wanting to know so you can hide the things you don't want her to see.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• We live 1400 miles away from my MIL, but I don't think she would do that anyway. It would really creep me out if she did.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• When my MIL visits she tends to clean a lot in my kitchen. She has a hard time being idle. That's fine with me. I have actully cleanned her microwave and stovetop for her when I was visiting her. I have to say though I would not be comfortable with her comming over and doing all the things you listed
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• She is a gem for helping out, but I can see why you'd be uneasy. I'd say explain it to her just as you have to us. Tell her that she is very helpful, but that you'd feel more comfortable, since sometimes personal things might be left out or not cleaned up, if she'd say she was thinking of coming by. Say it with a smile and a hug.

Answer by Bmat at 2:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• If we let her, she probably would. When I was pregnant, FIL stopped over unexpected and I wasn't dressed ......................so, never again. They know their boundaries. They call and ask to come over and see dd, and of course, I can't say no. They are wonderful grandparents though, so I would never say no anyway. Plus, I love that dd knows them and is comfortable with them. I'm not comfortable with anybody else cleaning my house . . . well the dishes maybe!! Dh doesn't understand the whole rinsing and putting in dishwasher theory . . I know how complicated it is though . . . (rolling my eyes)
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My MIL lives in Cali, but if I ask my mom to go by my house for something (like she went to get bottles the other day when she was watching my son), she will also tell me that she grabbed the dirty bottles in the sink to wash, or she folded the laundry that was laid on the couch, or she will make our bed (I hate that because I don't like my bed being messed with). But, I appreciate it because we have small twins and hubby and I both work and she is really just helping, but I also know that she is going to be there! If I came home and she had just come in out of nowhere and done it, I would be a little annoyed and probably say, "I really appreciate you doing... but next time could you let me know that you are going to be there!"
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 2:58 PM on Apr. 10, 2009