• In the Spotlight:

"Business of Being Born"

Have you seen this documentary? What did you think? Did you learn anything new?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I loved it. I wish I had seen it while I was pregnant with my daughter. I saw it for the first time a couple months ago, and I already knew a lot fo the stuff they talked about. I did learn about the scary drugs that used to be used though, and twilight sleep.. that was awfully creepy and scary!

I am planning a home birth already, so most of the info wasn't news to me. I did think the whole thing was done pretty well. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• It is a great film
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• saw parts. didn't care for it. I chose to have my son in a hospital. I see NOTHING wrong with home births & such but it kinda was rude to those who chose to have their child in a hospital.
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Coltsfan, if you actually would have watched it I doubt you would have gotten that impression. Infact, Abby Eppstein ended up with an emergency cesarean that was actually a true emergency. She went to the hospital even though she planned a home birth.

This movie was done with facts.. not bias and they did a good job of portraying the majority of maternity care in the US.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i loved the film...though i wished i would of seen it b4 my daughter was born....
    HelloKitty02

Answer by HelloKitty02 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Coltsfan, you should have watched it all the way through! You didnt give the film a chance at all.. Like someone said, one of the ladies DID end up in the hospital with an emergency C-Section.
    I think it was great that they did include the hospital birth & didnt just edit it out of the film & ignore the "other side"...
    I loved the film. It was great. I wish every woman in their first trimester could watch this film & read some of the books (like Ina May Gaskin) that they recommend on the website. . I honestly cant put into words how I feel about this subject!
    I had a hospital birth, next go round, i hope for something else. I live ACROSS THE ST. from a hospital, so maybe a home birth is reasonable for me, its actually my family that I worry about. My dh passed out on my first contraction with baby #1. lol.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2009