What religions other than muslim and jewish ask for circumcision? Any?

I'm tired of hearing religious reasons for circing when the people aren't muslim or jewish.

3rdtymsthecharm

Asked by 3rdtymsthecharm at 2:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, for us, it wasn't a REQUIREMENT, but DH wanted DS circumcised b/c Jesus was, so I guess that could be considered a religious reason?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• if this baby is a boy, i'm having him circumcised, not for religious reasons, but my dad has asked me if i was going to & i was like "yeah i guess" and he suggested i do b/c he's not & over the years he's had some problems
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Male circumcision is considered a commandment from God in Judaism.[5] In Islam, though not discussed in the Qur'an, circumcision is widely practiced and most often considered to be a sunnah.[6] It is also customary in some Christian churches in Africa, including some Oriental Orthodox Churches

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcise
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I don't think it is a requirement for other religions and to be honest I think the main reason that the muslims and jews circ, dates back to a time when it was a medical hazard not to circ. In those days people didn't shower daily, or weekly sometimes. And so things became a little cheesy in the crotch area...

I chose to circ because I felt it was the right thing to do. None of the men on my mothers side of the family were circed. So I talked to them in addition to my own research. While I found research that both supported and disprooved the need to circ I recieved the same advice from every man in my family and their wives. These are NOT unclean men, but like all men they don't wash their penises after they pee... Every one of their wives had dealt with vaginal and/or cervical infections from bacteria planed durring sex... I felt that they would know the pros and cons best.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Religion or not, circumcision is a good idea. A friend of mine's dad had to have it done when he was 57 due to hygene problems. He was constantly bothered by infections no matter how careful he was. He wished his mom and dad had done it at birth. It really hurt when he was 57!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

oh it really hurt at age 57 when he can be knocked out and given vicadin after! it hurts more for an infant. and that dad grew up in a time when mothers were told to retract their babies foreskins which we now know is a big time nono. retracting an unretractable penis is asking for infections.

3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 9:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Well now with being a christian it isnt mandatory at all. But i have three boys and we did. We did because for one my husband is. For another i have heard of men having issues with it not being and had to when older get circumsized. I thought might as well do it now, bc if they do have issues and have to do it later, i didnt wnat them to say, mom why didnt you just have it done when i wouldnt remember it. Cause lets face it, i dont know anyone who remembers their first couple years of life, let alone their first days of life. My boys have no problems at all they healed quickely from it too! a week and they were fine.
    ministrymom

Answer by ministrymom at 11:06 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• oh it really hurt at age 57 when he can be knocked out and given vicadin after! it hurts more for an infant. and that dad grew up in a time when mothers were told to retract their babies foreskins which we now know is a big time nono. retracting an unretractable penis is asking for infections.

NO, that's not always the case. my uncle joined the navy when he was 21 and they made him get circumsized buy the navy medic, no pain meds at all....
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• sorry Josie The Navy does not require circing. I'm a former Navy wife
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 1:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2009

• @ Sabrina
    Um, I dealt with infections due to sex too and my hubby is circumcised. I don't know if that is related, I do not think there have been any causal studies done.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 11:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2009