• In the Spotlight:

what could be a reason for a one year old to suddenly wake in the middle of the night screaming crying.

my son just turned one on the 27th of march and he always sleeps through the night. We moved into our new apartment on the 31st and he never cryed for that whole week but all this week he as been waking in the middle of the night screaming crying. I thought teething because he is breaking in new molars i gave in tylenol and teething ointment but he still would cry. I thought maybe constipation cuz we switched to whole milk but he is not constipated. so we go to the doctor to see if maybe he has ear infection but all clear. they say maybe night terrors or new surrounding but why would it take a week for him to start being afraid. I am a single mom with three kids my daughter sleeps through all of it but my seven yr old who has to go to school wakes up everynight also . so we are both very tired would appreciate any ideas.

kids1234

Asked by kids1234 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We are in the exact same boat. We just moved February 1st and my son turned one on March 4th. Nick has slept through the night ever since he was put in to his own bed in his own room when he was like 4 months old. He is also now waking up in the middle of the night just screaming. I really do think he is having bad dreams and settles down after Daddy or I come in the room and hold him for a few minutes. I think he just wants to know that we are still around somewhere.
    DAjZeZnLE

Answer by DAjZeZnLE at 3:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Night terrors, maybe? I'm so sorry!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My son is 2. when he comes home from a visit with his dad, he does the same thing! my thought is...any kind of change in their normal surrounding may casue a night terror/ nightmare....also... your new apartment... do you think maybe theres something in there (mold, dust, etc ) that may possilbly be making him sick? its so tricky to figure it out when they are so little!! good luck!
    destiny00843

Answer by destiny00843 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Ok, you all may think I am crazy, but could your child be picking up on a presence in your new apartments? I think kids are way more psychic then most parents believe they are. Have you ever noticed them playing with someone who isn't there or looking at something when there is nothing there to look at? Just a possibility.
    As for night terrors, it could be that also. I had that problem with my middle son for while until I started leaning over his bed after he had fallen asleep and saying to him, in a very quiet voice, "May your sould be protected and guided while you sleep. May any ill meaning presence be held off while you leave your body tonight. And may you bring the peace of home back with you." I know, I look nuts standing over my son saying it, but it works and no one can make me stop.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• ok so im right there with you. my son is doing the same thing but he even sleep walks and has his eyes open but since hes sleeping they are rolling to the back of his head. its so scary but we just try not to wake him and just hum or shhhh him to sleep and it works. he just got a new brother almost 2 months ago so maybe thats it but im scared also since he has really bad night sweats and he doesnt sleep with any covers. he always kicks them off. lemme know if u find something out. good luck
    lydiamama

Answer by lydiamama at 5:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I moved in December and my son (19 months) took a while to adjust and had some night terrors/ nightmares too. It was hard with Holiday stuff going on too. But after a couple of weeks, he calmed down and now sleeps soundly all night again. Something to keep in mind: if it's terrors, he is still having the dream while screaming and can possibly have his eyes open, so don't say his name or pick him up until you are sure he recognizes you. Because whatever he is dreaming about is then either grabbing him or knows his name so you can make it worse. Its so hard to sand there with your baby screaming, but wait until he looks up at you and sees you before comforting him. Good luck!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• There are a lot of reasons this could be happening.To eliminate all the worst case scenarios, be sure to have someone come in to check to make sure there isn't anything in the apartment that could be causing this. Ex. mold, a high electric magnetic field, carbon monoxide, etc.
    Since you said you took him in for a check up, then you've probably eliminated every potentially physically harmful thing.
    The only things left after that is a few more nights of comforting him and having him get use to the new apartment
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2009