Freezing bread dough

i have a recipe for a bread dough that makes 2-3 loaves, depending on what i bake it in. it's a double rise recipe and i usually just get the rapid-rise yeast packets so that the first rise doesn't take an hour. if i want to freeze part of the dough (so that i have dough in the freezer, instead of a big loaf of bread), when should i freeze it- before any rising, after the first rise, or after the second? and should i get the regular yeast packets instead of the rapid-rise?

MaMaLaLa369

Asked by MaMaLaLa369 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I use the regualr yeast packets and freeze it before it rises. When you are ready to make it take it out and put it in a bread pan to defrost and it will rise. I love homemade bread :)
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 4:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Freeze after the first rise, when you have formed the loaves. Freeze them on a cookie sheet and when they are hard, take them out and double wrap them, first in plastic then in foil. I just write on the foil in permanent marker what type of bread it is. I do this all the time. Let the loaves defrost in the fridge overnight and take them out and let them rise in the morning.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2009