potty training???

My son will be 2 at the end of may and he is showing a lot of interest in the potty. But when i sit him on it he just sits there for a couple minutes and then wants off. Every time he goes pee he brings me a diaper and wants to be changed but its getting expensive changing him for every little wetness. any advice on how to encourage him to use the potty???

jessica91484

Asked by jessica91484 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Check out the potty training moms support group on CM. Here's the link to a permanent post there about the 3-day method for potty training: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1182517/3_Day_Potty_Training .. It's a different approach rather than sitting your child on the potty, waiting for something to happen. It worked great for my daughter at 19 months, I highly recommend it. The group is active and there's a lot of support for this method for training. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i got this book since my son loves me to read to him and he loves it. its called Diapers are not forever. we havent got that far to the point where he is extra interested like u say urs is but it helped him understand the concept of going and how boys and girls use the potty. mines only got to the point where he picks his butt when hes wet or he starts to take off his pants or diaper. but were workin on it. lots of praise helps too we always say yay, or good job, bravo, or way to go!
    lydiamama

Answer by lydiamama at 5:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Start taking him to the potty every hour. Eventually he will accidently pee on the potty and you can make a big fuss over him. Then he'll start to catch on.
    Once he is going only when you take him to the potty, start waiting 1.5 hours, then 2 hours, and switch to undies. Once he is staying dry most of the time, start watching him instead of keeping to a schedule - look for the "potty dance" and keep track of when he last went - get him to the potty if it's been longer than 2.5 hours or if he is dancing.
    Never, ever ask if he has to go at this stage. While he might say "Yes" in the early stages, the fun and excitment will wear off and he'll start saying "No" so he can keep playing with his toys - even when he is holding himself to keep from peeing!

Good Luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2009