When do I start lactating?

Im so grossed out by it but I need to know lol I dont want to be wearing a nice shirt and all of the sudden it is wet and stickey lol

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 3:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can leak colostrum starting anytime during your pregnancy, though it's not generally leaking out on its own. When you deliver your baby, the placenta coming off of the uterine wall causes a major hormone shift that stimulates the prolactin, which is the hormone that starts to make the milk. It takes a few days (as many as 5) for the milk to come in, but you'll have colostrum before that. If you're really nervous about leaking, and you're out somewhere special, try wearing nursing pads. I never had a problem until well after the baby had come, and I couldn't feel it; I just looked down and saw a wet ring around my nipple.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:36 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Well you wil be making colostrum before your baby is born and then your milk somes in about 1-3 days afterwards. Just wear nursing pads, it should help.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• depends . with my first i never leaked
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Some people leak during pregnancy, some don't at all. Even if you do it is usually just one little drop, hardly noticeable.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I started leaking colostrum around 20 weeks, but never enough to soak a shirt. Heck, it wasn't even enough to soak a bra and I leaked A LOT by comparison.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 5:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i'm 40 weeks pregnant now, and i've been leaking for the last 2 1/2 weeks. the leaking starts out in small amounts, and can larger. i believe the largest mine has been so far is about the size of a prune.
    charmbracelet84

Answer by charmbracelet84 at 6:35 AM on Apr. 11, 2009