Christians...What do you think about this idea?

I was watching a Discovery Channel show entitled "Angels and Demons". Something I found really intresting was a concept that the story of Satan and God was misunderstood by man. Some state that Satan was NOT cast out of Heavan for a rebellion against God; instead it is suggested that he is actually God's most devoted servant. And that his intention for man's ruination is in fact, to show God that his divine love is lost on beings so unworthy. This is the reason why Satan tries to corrupt mankind, get them to sin, etc. Because he loves God so much, that he only wants the most worthy of subjects to be allowed to love and worship him.

Thoughts on this concept ladies?

Non-Christians welcome to answer also (I'm Agnostic) I was just really intrested in what Christians would think of this "new" idea of man's struggle with sin and Satan's influence.....

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I always find conversations about the Hebrew word satan rather funny. I don't know how it ever came to be so badly misinterpreted. In Hebrew the word simply means "an adversary." There is no concept in Judaism of the evil being that has come to be known as "the devil." If you do some research and look at more accurate translations of the Old Testament from the Hebrew, you will see that the meaning was badly twisted. Take a look at the folllowing website:

http://www.bibletopics.com/BibleStudy/164.htm
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I also saw this show, and thought it was awesome. I think the concept is an interesting, and very possible one.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Eaahhhhhh.......strange concept.

I dont go with it b/c the Bible says God threw him out b/c of his rebellion against God.
    Anonymous

• Ehh it kinda makes sense but I'm gonna stick with Satan was cast out of Heaven for rebelling. I also had a dream one night of a God-like figure and an angel arguing and the angel turned into a fireball and shot underground. It was weird
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Marwill:

Thank you so much for that link! :-)
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• You're welcome!
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:48 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• A twisted concept ... Satan is incapable of loving anyone... his rebellion comes from the root of pride. God cast him out of heaven for a reason and that is so Heaven would not be polluted with SIN.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• God doesn't need Satan to show Him how undeserving of His grace we are. He already knows that, but He loves us anyways.

If Satan really loved God and wanted to help Him out, he would go around telling US how undeserving of God's love we are, and how God loves us anyways--so we would appreciate God. We are the ones who don't understand God, God understands everything.

So many of us are so unashamed and proud, we don't want God to "tell us what to do" or "judge" us. So many people refuse His offer of grace, because they think they don't need it. That is the attitude that Satan has, rebellion.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• When Satan talks to God in Job, he is trying to tell God that we really don't love Him for who He is. We just love Him for what we get from Him. That is like someone telling me that my kids don't really love me, they are just using me.

He wasn't concerned for God; he was insulting God.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• False Teaching and lack of understanding of God's word.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2009