Spin off: Do you think spanking to discipline is abuse?

I'm not talking about spanking in anger.

Just spanking after 2-3 warnings, and telling your kids why they are getting spanked.

In your opinion is it abuse?

I personally don't think so, but by reading some of the replies in the other post I'm shocked to think that so many moms think it's abuse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Makes you wonder how many mothers on here were spanked as a child. If they were spanked and turned out ok, but say they would never spank their own children that is just odd. Their are so many more troubled children today and I think it is because parents don't spank and instead ty to reason with their kids. Kids do better when things are black and white. I can do this- I can't do that. If you try to make your kids reason through everything than you are putting to much stress on your child. I think a happy child is one that knows the boundries of good behavior and knows that he will be disiplined if he steps out of those boundries.
    Anonymous

• I think those mothers who claim that spanking is abuse are just plain ignorant. Not every child responds to the same punishmnt.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 3:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• It is not abuse if you are in control and not doing it out of anger. Some children need the shock factor to get the point.
    nannabart

Answer by nannabart at 3:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• no. the spanking youre talking about is not abuse. spanking in anger really isnt even abuse as long as you keep it to butt taps. beating, slapping around etc, is abuse.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:36 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• nope spanking is what they have done for years and kids are much more out of hand today then they were back then and as long as u are not hurting them like beating them then a spank is good 4 them if they have been bad
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 3:36 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i don't think so i was spanked as a child and i don't consider it abuse. i only got spanked if i broke the other punishment (grounding, time outs, no tv etc...) so then i would get spanked and put back on that punishment. i have spanked my daughter when she wouldnt stay in time out after a few warnings or when she doesn't listen after a few warnings. i think if the first thing you do though, is to reach out and spank your child b/c you are mad that is different. that i would consider abuse
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• The ones that spank would never call it abuse, right? I'm a spanker, I don't think it's abuse. I think to be left to "think it over"...as some parents choose, can be a form of neglectful parenting.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 3:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I dont think spanking is abuse until it is done out of impatience and/or anger. When I child is asked to stop doing something once, and they dont listen, a spanking or any other type of discipline is NEEDED.
    Anonymous

• I dont think its abuse but I don't think thats how you should get thru to your children. I will never raise a hand to my boy even if he is bouncing off the walls or being a little stinker. When I was little my mom spanked me like only once but I would always run to my dad as if he would protect me. hehe. My mom got jealous. I think if you have to go to spanking then there is a communication problem.
    Then again I was a pretty good kid. My mom was hit with a hanger from her mom. My dad swore against ever raising a hand to me. I agree with this and so does my hubby.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I think it can be abuse, not that it necessarily is... but I don't agree with spanking at all. I don't think it's *ignorant* to view it as abuse.. ignorance means uneducated and just because a parent views spanking as wrong does NOT mean they are uneducated lol.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:48 PM on Apr. 10, 2009