When to spay and vaccinate?

We are about to get a kitty around 8 weeks old and I was wondering when should I take it in to get it spayed/neutered and vaccinated?

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Pets

• Most vets will do it between 8 to 12 weeks old for the vaccinations, and then anywhere from 4-6 months to spay.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i think you can take them in when they are 8 weeks i don't remember. call the vet you will be using and ask him when you can bring the kitten in. as for spayed i think you have to wait til they are a year.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Best to just call your local Vet and ask them when.

Answer by louise2 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Most vets won't spay/neuter until kitty is at least 3lbs. Also, there are a lot of low-cost spay/neuter clinics that will do it, and vaccinate kitty too. I got my dog fixed and micro-chipped at a low-cost place, where any profit goes to charity.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 11:42 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Vaccinate right away, female cats should be spayed at about 6 months old or after the first heat, male cats need to be a little older.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Take your kitten in for it's first vet visit. The vet should do a full check up, a blood test for Feline Leukemia and Feline Aids, and a fecal test to check for parasites. It's extremely common for kittens to have fleas, worms and earmites, so be prepared for any or all of these.

At 8 weeks, a kitten should receive it's first FVRCP vaccine. In 2-3 weeks, the kitten will need another FVRCP vaccine, and it's first FeLV vaccine. 2-3 weeks after that, the kitten will need it's final FVRCP and final FeLV vaccine. At the age of 4 months, the Rabies vaccine is given.

Some clinics will spay/neuter as early as eight weeks. Many vets won't do it until an animal is six months old. As someone with a decade in rescue behind me, I recommend having it done around four months of age. I also highly suggest having her microchipped when you have her spayed. Microchipping can be done any time, but it's less painful to do it during the spay.
    MrsGurt

Answer by MrsGurt at 3:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2009