do your kids hold your hand when you cross the street?

i was shocked at the elem school the other day. my daughter is 3 and she goes to the elem school for speech, when we got to the parking lot i said ok we are going in the street i need a hand and she gave me her hand. a woman turned around and was like OH thats so great! i do daycare and half the kids parents let them run across the street and they don't hold their hands or anything. i just think its so great that she just gave you her hand and didn't try to argue, that shows that its something she knows she has to do and is enforced. i was just so shocked that someone wouldn't have their kids hold their hands. she was also shocked that my daughter stopped at the curb and looked for cars and when she didn't see any she said "ok mommy can we go?" i mean why wouldn't someone teach their child that?

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 4:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son always holds my hand when we are anywhere besides home.
    Anonymous

• My son is going on 2 and right out the door he grabs my hand or my husbands, our daughter is 10 months and learned to walk so our son grabs her hand and says "sissy hand". We didn't really enforce it, we just grabbed his hand every time we leave the house or cross the street, so he picked up that it's what you HAVE to do. I think for them it's a security thing, and for a child to not get their hand held it's a HUGE fault on the parents! The other day we were at Wal-Mart and a guy was walking with is two kids and he was smoking, and his kids were about 3 and 4 and they ran across the street and a car almost hit them. Some lady yelled at the guy and said "watch your damn kids" How sad, my husband said he's an idiot for smoking and asshole for not holding his kids hands. I just can't believe there are people out there like that. Your raising your daughter on the right track!
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 4:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Yes, my boys do. If they refuse, which my 2 1/2 year old is trying to be really really independent lately then he is picked up and carried. Which as soon as he is picked up he usually will ask to walk and then will hold our hand with no problem. I also work in daycare and I second what the lady told you. So many kids get picked up, go outside with their parents and just run around like crazy in the parking lot. Which is right by the road and it is also the busy part of the day with parents coming and going. Craziness.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 5:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my daughter always does!!!!!!!! she went thru a phase of not wanting to..but she learned quick after i got mad at her a few times for it..lol..better safe than sorry!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Yes, my son is 5 and does all of the time. Even in parking lots.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 5:23 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• yes my son is 3, does it everytime, no matter how clear the road, he fears moving cars as he should.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• They should. Mine does, or I hold the back of his shirt or something when he won't let me hold his hand.
    I worked at a daycare and a kid actually go 'tapped" by a car when his father wasn't holding his hand in the parking lot and dad stopped to talk and forgot kiddo was still running for the truck.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2009