My boyfriend doesnt believe that its unsafe to have a toddler/infant seat in the front seat of a truck. Advice

The safety warning is on every carseta and I've told him countless times that its unsafe to have a carseat in the front of a car/truck but he seems to think this is ok because the truck has no airbags.
Its an older (mid90's) truck, with just front seats. our sons 13 months old

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME HERE!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree with you! Not safe.
    Anonymous

• Show him some videos on the car accidents with kids in the front seat. I am sure that there are lots on the internet. Make sure you find one where the carseat flies out.
    Anonymous

• It's OK as long as there are no airbags. The airbags cuase the most damange especially for rear facing car seats.
    Anonymous

• It's all up to you, if you feel uncomfortable with it then don't do it. I would say yes because my husband is a great and causious driver, he would never let anything happen, but you are right it is unsafe but it's not illegal in any way. But again go with how you feel about the situation.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 4:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My dh loves his truck... Sometimes he takes the baby with him in the front seat but he has a switch in it to turn off the airbag for the passenger when he does.
    Anonymous

• ""Q45: Can I put my carseat in the front seat of my vehicle?

Airbags can be deadly to infants in rear-facing carseats, and to children 12 and under using the seatbelts. The front seat is generally not recommended for children 12 and under. The airbag MUST be disabled if you must use a rear-facing child seat in the front. Some vehicles without a rear seat, especially pickup trucks, have an on/off switch for this purpose. If a child must ride in the front, you should also move the front seat as far back as it will go. Please only consider a front seat if no other option is available. Also see:
    NHTSA Tips on Air Bag Safety""

http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html#Q45
    Anonymous

• Yes it is unsafe my cousin had his daughter a few years ago in the front seat of his pick up sitting next to him in a car seat and they had an accident the gear shifter went into her side she had to go thru many operations to repair things it was horrible.Of course u never think things like this will happen to u and your family
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Well when someday he gets a ticket for that and ya'll get Child services call on you, then he will change his mind, but until then or if it ever happens I don't think your boyfriend is going to give up his truck for more reasonable transportation!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• soonmommyof3, you do not get a ticket for your child being in the front seat in a car seat! It's not illegal. And I seriously doubt it's a reason to call child services!
    Anonymous

• my daughter rides in my moms truck and we put the seat as far back as possible (there is a back seat but half the car seat hangs off of it) and turn off the air bags. its the air bags that are supposed to be the worse part. a car seat could fly out of any seat if its not installed properly.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2009