if you were an employer would you choose the canaidate with experience or the one with education and no experience?

my boss is looking to promote 1 of 5 of me and my coworkers. i have the education , but no experience. my coworkers dont have the education but may have more on the job skills. my boss told me i dont seek out help enough to get the experiecne. i think he wants to promote me but feels i need more hands on. so what do you chicks think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• The more experienced worker is going to win because of that experience.

Your boss has already told you what you need to do to move up. Start doing it. When he sees you at it, you'll be a better contender for future promotions.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Well if it was me I would go with the person who has more experience.... Education can get you in the do, but if you don't have the experience to back it up, I'm afraid employers are gonna go for the experienced person.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Well my husband has been passed up many times for not having the education, but had experience. He just got a new job last week because he had great experience and they passed up people with bachelor degrees, so it just depends on the person. BUG BUG BUG your boss, thats what my husband did, actually the job he just got he had the choice of choosing. His current job was promoting people and he got offered the same job at a different company all because he had good experience and he BUGGED them on a daily basis! His name was stuck in all the big shot's heads! Good luck, BUG them like crazy!
    Anonymous

• I will say experience..

Answer by louise2 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• It depends. You haven't shown that you can apply your education to make up for your lack of experience yet, so that would count against you. And, I don't mean applying the actual content of what you learned, but applying the skills (analytical thinking, etc.) that it gave you.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Oh. Regarding bugging like crazy? Be careful. Some bosses won't like that. I know I wouldn't have.

• Experience... Sorry.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2009