Aren't there other forms of discipline besides spanking?

I personally don't spank my kids. And they donot run over me. How can you spank and then say dont hit others? Spanking hurts a kids self esteem. How can you spank with love... I have heard ppl say that before. There are other things to do besides spanking, arent you the parent and are much smarter than a child. Maybe spanking makes you feel powerful. HMMM I dont know but, I dont spank, my kids are just fine and dont hit others.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• What works for one child, may not work for another.. Spanking doesnt always work, time outs dont always work,. All children respond differently to different forms of punishment. What gets me is when people say that a child will misbehave because the parents dont spank period. Gets under my skin..

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• each child is different. my daughter thinks time out is funny, she thinks taking away toys or tv is funny too and will try to find a way around it. shes 3, that leaves me with what options? so yes on occasion i have swatted her bottom, spanked, to get her to realize that the punishment she is getting is not a game. i would not spank her for hitting though, just like you said that makes no sense to enforce. so if it works for her, she doesn't hit and it gets her attention enough so that i can follow through on her original discipline who are you to judge me?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Lets see, my oldest is 16 and I have spanked her a total of 3 times, my other two children have been spanked twice, and yes I do use other forms of disipline, sometimes for somethings timeouts and taking things away dont work. Oh and no I dont feel all powerful for doing it. Whats your point?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I agree with vabchmommy, but my son is 2 now and he thinks paddles on the butt is funny and he is scared of time out so we do time out. But at first our son thought time out's were fun, and taking his toys away didn't matter because he could find something esle to do, but swatting him on the butt was scarry so he never did anything more than twice once he was told no. But I totally agree with a lot of what you are saying. What I disagree with is yelling and just slapping your kid where ever, a smack on the butt is not hurtful to their self esteem. Some kids need to be swatted, my husband always found something bad to do when he was grounded or didn't have anything to play with, so a smack on the butt always straighten him up. So again some kids need it! Times outs are not always enough!
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 5:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Thank your for your Opinion..Not every one feels like you do.

Answer by louise2 at 5:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• quite frankly it is none of your business lol.If you feel it is better for you and your kids to not ever use a spanking as dicipline then so be it they are your children.The same goes for those who do see a spanking for their children useful.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Just working off your post........I DID spank my 2 kids. I never told them not to hit kids. They have never gone around being bullies or beating kids up, they were not the toughies in school or on the playground. They're adults now, 29 & 26.
    My parents had 8 kids and NEVER spanked one of us. They always instructed us to not hit others. 1 girl and 1 boy beat up teachers. 2 boys were arrested on assault charges.
    So I think you can't generalize and say spanking does this or that, and no spanking does this or that. Each child, each parent, and each situation is individual.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 5:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I have to agree somewhat with the OP. I don't spank, and honestly there's never been a need to. I also don't use time out because honestly my son is very well behaved. I set boundaries and he knows what they are. Of course on occasion he acts up. All kids do.
    Now let's say he is (God forbid) about to run into the street, or does run into the street or would try to run away from me in a busy parking lot or in some other way put himself in danger ....... then you better believe I am going to swat his little butt! But not BEAT his butt over and over.
    My son is a very respectful little boy and I don't think it has anything to do with discipline, more the way I raise him.
    I also don't critisize others for the way they discilpline their kids.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 5:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Just because you don't agree with spanking doesn't mean other people shouldn't agree with it. Just because you say your children are well behaved doesn't mean other people think they are. Spanking doesn't hurt self esteem, belittling your children is what hurts their self esteem.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I wish people could realize that what works for their child won't necessarily work for others. good for you that you don't need to spank your children and they are "just fine". i wonder how others would view your kids. most children i know that aren't spanked are spoiled brats. (note that i said MOST children that I KNOW, not ALL CHILDREN). I don't want to spank my son but nothing else gets through to him. We have tried many other forms of discipline. We choose to follow the Bible's instruction- spare the rod and spoil the child. that is just US though, and what is working for us. Again, what works for one family won't necessarily work for all. And how on earth does spanking hurt a child's self esteem? I was spanked, just like all of my friends and family were, and we all have good self esteem.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 5:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2009