When is the best time to pump when you breast feed full time?

I finally got a breast pump from wic after 2 1/2 months of waiting and I wasn't sure when to pump. I'm going back to school in a month and I want to save enough milk so I can keep him on breast milk but I don't know when to pump. How long after I breast feed should I pump. Or how long before I breast feed him should I pump. Thanks

Kayla

kaylaylshfr

Asked by kaylaylshfr at 4:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Most moms find they are most "full" in the morning and that this is a good time to pump. With a month to go, pumping once a day should be plenty. You can feed on one side and pump in the other first thing in the morning, or pump about an hour after feeding. It will be hard to maintain your supply unless you pump when you are away at school. If you rely on a "freezer stash" then your body will make less milk. Check out this article on using a freezer stash: http://www.workandpump.com/freezerstash.htm

Lots of good pumping tips at that site as well!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I was told to pump a little after each feeding. It'll help in crease supply and you can stock up and combine them as necessary.
    Anonymous