Interviewing a Day Care Provider

I have a newborn and I am about six years out of practice when it comes to interviewing a day care provider. I want to make sure I cover all the right things about child care in general and also specifically about newborn care. What questions would you ask during a child care interview?

sillyt

Asked by sillyt at 5:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How long have they been doing it.
    How many other infants do they have.
    Can you have references from other infant parents.
    Where would your child be sleeping and playing while they are there.
    How do they deal with illnesses.
    Do they chart feedings and schedules so you can see what your child is doing.
    What security if any do they have. (I.E, id checks, cameras, codes)
    Do they have assistants and if so how many and ages.
    Will they be the only one providing care for your child?
    Do they plan on traveling with your child.
    Do they have a back up plan if they are unable to care for your child.
    Do they have a license
    What are their rates, plus the rate for late pick ups
    If it is a center find out meal plans and ask for other parents to speak to.

Thats all I can think of.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• as for newborn specific I would ask about the scheduling and illnesses and how they handle that plus the number of children in the center/home in that age. Make sure they are within the codes if its home based.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I am a daycare provider, and all I can say is that you know if you "click" or not....If a parent is not 100% comfortable with me, then it's best for both of us if she moves on.
    Ask friends and family. A good provider rarely has openings, and when she does she doesn't advertise. Instead, she lets those that she knows send her referrals!
    I am part of a group of providers on here, and some of them are amazing! If you would like, you can let me know where you're from and I'll see if I can help!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Do they wear gloves while changing and feedings and wash hands frequently. My DD got a note each day with the times of diaper changes and how her baby at during the day. Didn't eat well today...no appetite and so on.
    mimitothree

Answer by mimitothree at 7:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2009