Charity?

Do you consider caring for your family as "charity?"

I just read a question where some horrid woman (and yes, if you're reading this I did just call you that) said she had read a post from a woman looking to do some charity. This woman told her to stop seeking recognition from strangers and go cook her husband a nice meal or play with her kids and just be happy with that. She said she couldn't understand why this woman would help strangers that may not even need her.

I am steamed! I could not believe how hateful someone would be to sugest that charity work is done for recognition only or that those strangers may not even need the help.

Caring for your kids is just that, it's not Charity! And charity is not just done for recognition... Millions need help! Why on earth would anyone bash someone for wanting to do charity!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree...she's only concerned about herself...what a sad way to live.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Obviously that woman needs a reality check.

Don't let it get to you - she WAS a horrid woman!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I agree with you - what a shame people think like that....
    =(
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I don't know why that posted Anon... I didn't mean for it to...

I'm the poster...

And yes, I gave her a peice of my mind - or two!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I know that in this section we rarely see eye to eye with one another. But I would hope that charity is something we all can agree on. Even if we can't all agree on which one, or even which cause, I would hope that we all at least see it as a positive...

Now, that I am calming down (DEEEP BREATH!!) I just feel so bad for that woman. If she really feels that others don't need her. She has no idea what she is missing!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Maybe it comes from the old "Charity begins at home" saying? I am in no way condoning the actions of this woman. It was probably just a troll trying to cause trouble. But I still don't know why she would say that. There are charities that need the extra help.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• HAHA - Ashley, those were her exact words! But the idea that Charity begins at home didn't mean that caring for your family was actually charity. It just meant that you should start with the causes and people that effect you the most... ie: Don't give to a stranger when the lady next door needs help...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• thats laughable that the woman told her to cook for her husband and care for her kids as charity work, not help out strangers. give me a break! I'm happy she isnt my mom. if I found out she felt this way I would have disowned her.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:47 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• That was truely a harsh statement. I think its wonderful when anyone wants to give back to their community or the world.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Yeah, that's not cool at all. Charity is wonderful. Getting recognition for it is a way of helping to promote as well. If someone sees and recognizes a good deed, then that person may do the same. People surprise me everyday, and not in a good way.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 6:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2009