When you are cooking . . .

Do you switch spatulas or spoons half way through cooking, since the first one had raw meat touch it? I always do. Am I paranoid or do you do it too?

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• hmm, i had never thought about it that way...now I am going to start having a lot more dirty dishes thanks to you!! haha
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Yeah, I do that too. I switch.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Yes, I switch, especially with chicken, or sometimes I wash the spatula once or twice as the meats cook.
    divakristi

Answer by divakristi at 5:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I have thought about it but haven't done it. My grandmothers and mother never did, and they were OK. I am thinking that when you stick a spoon or spatula in or on a food that is cooking, that the food on it gets cooked, too. If you are cooking hamburgs, and you flip them, then the spatula had only touched the cooked part. If you press down on the burger before you flip it, then the spatula has touched the raw part, but when you flip it, anything on it gets cooked by contact with the pan and the cooking burger. For soup, etc, when you stick the spoon in the hot soup, whatever is on it cooks. At least this is my thought. If I took a raw steak off a plate with a fork or tongs.... same thing, I think. But this is a subject I've wondered about, and I think that if the utensil gets hot in the cooking food, that it is OK.

Answer by Bmat at 5:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I don't switch.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i have thought about it... with chicken or pork i do... otherwize not..
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I wash it. Sometimes I switch.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 6:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I will rinse the spatula with hot water and then keep using it as the food cooks. Never really thought of switching.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2009