Weighing and measuring kids in school? Do you think this is a good idea?

Massachusetts is looking to pass this law where kids would be measured and weighed in school. The results will be sent home to parents for students in first, fourth, seventh and 10th grades in a package explaining what they mean and how parents can best combat obesity.
Do you think this is a good idea? Do you think it would make any difference?

For me, I know when I was in 10th grade I would have been mortified if I had to get up on a scale during school and have the results sent home. My classmates would find out the results of others one way or another. Especially the boys trying to get the girls' weight. I was never overweight but would have been soooo embarrassed!

AnnaMac

Asked by AnnaMac at 5:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 5:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• If mommy and daddy would skip the fast food we would not have a bunch of fatties runnning around. Oh, and the school having gym every day would help. Yes, parents should know they are poisoning their children via food.
    Anonymous

• oop- fatties don't run. my mistake. they shuffle.
    Anonymous

• we did at my school when we lived up in minnesota , we did it in our gym classes .
    ya i was up set that i was like 5 lbs more then most girs but then i relized im also like 4 inches taller then most girls so there is my 5 lbs lol .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• To add- YES A VERY GOOD IDEA.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it will make a difference. I mean are the results going to be shocking to the parents?? How would they NOT know that their child is overweight? Just another waste of tax dollars.
    Anonymous

• It might be what some parents need to hear. The obesity rates are on the rise and a lot of parents have their head in the sand about it. A little education would be a good thing in those cases.
    Anonymous

• No, I don't think it's a good idea. It's not the school's responsibility to point out that children are over weight. Like another person said, I'm sure the parents know their child is over weight. Humiliating children at school because of the parent's ignorance about nutrition and neglect of their health won't solve anything.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:39 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Parents do not care if their children are porkers unless others ridicule them. Maybe the school pointing it out will shame them into doing something about it.
    Anonymous

• But what a hypocritical thing to do, when I know, in our school system, elementary grade children are able to buy ice cream, and desserts. Which do you think they eat first, and don't usually finish? Bingo! They eat ice cream and don't eat their meal. Not like their meal is any better than going to taco bell or macdonalds. The lack of nutritional foods is astounding to me. Cereal, donuts and sugar foods for breakfast? No protein, like eggs or meat? And we wonder why the kids have high blood sugars and deep dips physically?

The middle school can buy sugar drinks, pizza, hamburgers,etc. Ok, so most of America feeds their children this anyway, so why not the schools? And then we continue to say we are concerned about childrens weight and health? Not really.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 5:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2009