how do i get my 41/2 year old to quit terrorizing the dogs? he is so mean to them, we put him in time out, yell at him, tell him the dogs are not toys. what else to do.

indysownlilbit

Asked by indysownlilbit at 5:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The second he starts to "terrorize" the dogs, remove him from the situation, tell him what he is doing wrong, spank his butt and put him in time out for 15-20 min. After words, have him tell you what he did wrong, and explain to him why we need to be gental and ask him if he loves his pets, how would he feel if you had to find them new homes because he could not be kind? Ask him to apologize to the dog and to go give him loves (petting, hugging, ect.).
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I told my son whatever he did to the dogs we would do to him. He pitched the dogs, we'd pinch him. He'd pull their ears, we'd pull his ear. He hit or kicked the dogs, we'd hit or kick him. It sounds horrible, but it got the message across.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Most times the child doesn't understand that it hurts the dog. It could be a "power trip" meaning that he gets a yelp out of the dog, and he thinks " wow! that was cool, I can make the dog yelp!" I would do what he does to the dog, to let him know it hurts. Kinda like biting back a child that bites.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 6:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I agree with Crystal1124. Do to him what he does to the dogs, if he's old enough to understand 'stop' commands.

If it doesn't stop, you'll have to give the dogs away and just deal with the kid. Good luck!
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 6:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Once he gets bit he'll probably never do it again. Idk if I agree with doing everything to him he does to the dogs, but maybe pull his ears until he yelps. Might help him learn to take a walk in someone else's shoes, or paws...
    anna_ny

Answer by anna_ny at 4:45 AM on Apr. 11, 2009