How often should my 5 1/2 month old be pooping?

Since we started solids her bms have slowed down from many times a day to every other day finally to no poop for days at a time. After not pooping for 3 days, the doctor said I could give her a suppository. That was monday. It is now friday night and she hasnt had a bm since. Is this normal? What is normal for an infant? (She is breastfed)

BunintheOven1

Asked by BunintheOven1 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our pediatrician said breastfed babies can't be constipated. But you have introduced solids, so that's not really the case anymore. If you're feeding her rice cereal, it's common for that to cause constipation. We stopped giving my son rice cereal altogether after our pediatrician said it causes constipation and is difficult to digest.
    Our son was constipated from rice cereal, and our doctor said to feed him more veggies and to stay away from fruits to help get his bowels moving. It worked.
    You may even want to breastfeed exclusively for a little while longer, as her digestive system is still not fully developed.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my DD had the same issue. It takes a little while for their body to get used to passing the solids, I wouldnt suggest stopping the solids. her body will get used to it. Try giving her a little bit of prune juice. That will help to clear things out. Also, you can push their legs up, so her knees go to her chest, and that will help to work the poop down and help her to push it out. I know it sounds funny but it works. but definitely dont stop solids altogether right now, you can cut back a bit, but youre going to go through this at some point, might as well keep going now. just keep a watchful eye
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 6:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Yep skip the cereal and the suppositories (if possible) and try Gerber prunes -- one container per day. I found these to work better than the prune juice. Pears also help.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My 5 1/2 month old is doing the same thing, but i started giving her formula about 3 weeks ago because she wasnt getting enought milk from me and i have been giving her rice cereal and veggies so im gonna stop giving her cereal and see if that helps. Also i give her and ounce of apple prune juice with an ounce of water everyday and she still isnt pooping that much. like every 4-5 days. Well good luck to you and i hope something works and i hope i can get my daughter regulated to.
    fgeith05

Answer by fgeith05 at 8:14 AM on Apr. 11, 2009