Spanking...

I read where someone had written if you hit an adult it's assult, so why would a child be different...

So, let me ask you this... IF you were acting in a way that was putting you or someone else in danger would you hope someone would be adult enough to hit you?

I know if I was licking the outlet (which my son likes to do?!?) I would hope someone would knock some sence in to me...

Isn't there a point, even with adults, where it's better to hit them than to have them try it again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Why is it that you think hitting them would make them not try it again?
    Anonymous

• Like I always say, Every child is different & every child responds to different things.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 5:48 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I want my children to think pain when they think of running in the street, but don't want them smashed by a pickup... Spanking works!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Just as a man should not hit a woman when he feels she is doing something wrong, an adult should not hit a child.

We have language and communication skills for a reason, use them.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• This question actually led me to laugh because it made me think of something that happened at work the other day. We have these two girls that are great friends. They are both late teens, early 20s, I am not quite sure how old. One of them was trying to turn off the outside lights and the switch has been known to send shocks. Most of us will use a pen or something to hit the lever. So this girl reaches forward with wet hands to turn the lights off. She gets shocked and doesn't turn the light off. So she reaches forward again. Same thing, shock, lights still on. The third time she does this, same effect. So her friend comes up and slaps her. Her words "It probably hurts less than getting shocked and it was worth it." The friend then grabs a pen and turns off the light.

There is, IMO, a difference between spanking and HITTING. I will spank, with an open hand, on the bottom.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• A little boy hitting a little girl IS NOT the same as a man hitting a woman.

Just like a parenting spanking a child IS NOT the same as beating either a woman or a child.

Using spanking as discipline IS NOT the same as beatting your child.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• That being said, if there was an adult I was responsible for, I would do whatever I felt was an adequate way of keeping them in line. There are adults I would love to smack from time to time. And I am sure that there are people that would love to smack me. I don't want to hit people to keep them safe or to help them understand consequence. I want to do it because they are being stupid. Not the same thing. If I really thought there was lesson to be learned in it, I would spank an adult.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• spanking is cild abuse these days , so is 90 % of the things your parents did with you when you were a kid . honestsly i think people are to cranky these days. i got yelled at for picing my son up and spinning with him i had a cop tell me that was dangerouly close to abuse . that is bull .
    Anonymous

• I would like to point out that America has one of the most ineffective prison systems in the world. The finacial strain that the mass amounts of money put into probation, prison systems, ect.. is just staggaring...

Yet, contries with punishments such as caneings have radically lower crime rates. My opinion is tech children that consiquences hurt. Because that is life. Granted, in america they will be given chance after chance then recive an adult verson of a time out... which just seems to work soo well (sarcasm).... Life hurts, life is messy, life is not easy.

And yes, If I was doing something stupid and dangerous... I really hope someone would have the common decency to walk over and slap me accrosed the face to knock some sence into me.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Well, I tell you, I don't remember having quite so many unruly kids around when I was in school. Yes, there were a couple but nowadays, no way in hell would I want to be a teacher. And I absolutely believe it is due to the growing number of parents opting NOT to actively discipline their kids (including spanking). I have a 1, 2, 3 system with my kids. One, they get a rundown of the rules followed by a warning if they choose to ignore the rule, Two, they get a timeout or loss of privilege and a reminder of the rule. And three, they get a spanking. I don't normally have to get to that third step because they KNOW I'll follow through. I would most definitely spank their little behinds before allowing the "opportunity to learn" by getting smacked by a car in the street.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 6:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2009