• In the Spotlight:

How much would you pay your kids for this?

We don't give our kids Allowance, but we do offer then jobs to earn money from time to time. We just moved & are going to open bank accounts here for them. I have a list of work for next week- to pay them money for their new bank acocunts. I'm not sure how much to pay. I think I want to go with a flat rate- 'get everything done on the list & get $10 each'. I'll post the list in the 1st response box. My boys are 12, 14, 15. Just curious as to what others would pay as a flat rate to their kids (imagine they are 3 boys the same ages as mine, earning money for Legoland & Summer Church Camp). Would you pay $10 each boy, $15 each boy, $20 each boy- for this work? (if the list isn't there yet, wait a minute and refresh the page.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• OH OK! I would say 15 per child provided they actually do the work. That seems fair to me, considering between the three of them it shouldn't take more than about 1.5-2 hours. Right? I would think they could get it done in that amount of time and that would be decent "income".
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• GROUP JOBS:
    • Fridge/Freezer
    • Ovens/Stove Top
    • Windows

Level 1 Jobs:
    • Microwave
    • Toaster Oven
    • Clean/shine sink

Level 2 Jobs
    • Plastics Drawers
    • Cupboards Under Ovens
    • Pot & Pan Cupboards (under stovetop)

Level 3 Jobs:
    • Dust Front room
    • Sweep/mop Kitchen/Dining Room
    • Dust Kitchen/Dining Room (including table top)

Level 4 Jobs
    • Clean my Blender
    • Clean Kitchen Trash Can (in & Out)
    • Clean/organize 2 shelves (I will show you the two- cups and food, by wall to front room)

Anonymous

• I don't know any parents that have their kids do some of the stuff on that list. Maybe vacuum, taking out trash, and mopping, but some of the other stuff is just strange to have the kids do.
    Anonymous

• What are the levels? I am confused? Are you going to pay them for the levels they get done or are you planning on just paying them after everything is done? This is a long list, but split between three boys, it shouldn't be too bad. If you can help explain the plan, I can give more input about what I would do.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• 10 or 15 bucks depending on how much money you've got on hand.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Cleaning windows, dusting, wiping and cleaning out the drawers and cupboards before things go into them doesn't seem like jobs that are strange to have kids do to me. The oven, I wouldn't let them do, but the stove top sure.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My boys all know how to do all of this. It is not normal chores. It is "extras' they only do when they want to earn money. taking out trash and vacuumming their rooms is their normal expectations, for which they do not get paid.

Seriously?? You'r 15 yr old doesn't know how to clean a cupboard or mop a kitchen?? What will these kids you know do when they are n their own if they don;t know how to clean stuff in their house? I don't want my Daughters-In-Law cursing me each time the house needs to be cleaned and their slobby husbands won't lift a finger.

Anonymous

• THE LEVELS- are just a way to keep a group of jobs with similar difficulty levels together, so I don't have one kid choose all the easy work. They each choose one job from each group.
    Anonymous

• The Oven- I'm just having them wipe it down with regular cleaner- not the nasty Oven Cleaner stuff.
    Anonymous

• I've never paid my kids to do what is expected within my family. I've always encouraged them to ask neighbours if they can "help" them to earn some money. It was always a great experience all the way around. They would typically help an elder who needed it, they got the experience of being around, communicating with elders, and earned money.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2009