anyone use fenugreek?

anyone use fenugreek?
read on webmd that it can cause problems in infants.Has anyone used long enough to know if it will harm my baby? Has anyone spoken to their doctor about it? my doc is closed till monday.

tattooedmomma23

Asked by tattooedmomma23 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmm, kellymom and most resources ok it for a lactation supplement.

I used it, no problems at all. :) My herbalist and naturopath friend recommend it to help build milk supply, if you have supply issues. Warning: a doctor has very little experience with anything natural, I wouldn't always trust their advice.

Also, it is contraindicated while pregnant so do not take it if you are pregnant.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, 2003 states: “Many mothers try to boost their milk supply by drinking herbal teas, but the dose cannot be as easily controlled as capsules or tinctures, so the results will be inconsistent. Fenugreek (three capsules three times per day can be taken alone or with blessed thistle (three capsules three times per day). Experience indicates that it takes 24-72 hours to see an increase in milk supply once the herbs are started in the correct doses. Fenugreek is listed in the US as a Generally Recognized as Safe herbal.”
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• It is very rare for fenugreek to cause a baby problems, and if so, I believe it causes stomach problems, which you will know if it does.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 9:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Thank you ladies!
    tattooedmomma23

Answer by tattooedmomma23 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• It made me smell like maple syrup every time I sweated, but other than that it seemed to do the trick. I took it for over a month. I probably still have some in my fridge if you want it!!
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 6:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2009