Circumsition...

Arguments for or against... No arguing, no fighting... Please just state your reasons and move on...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• We had my son circumsized because my husband said it was easier to keep clean. I let my husband make the final decision because he has a penis, and knew all about it. I did not have any strong opinions either way.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 6:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• what is circumsition?
    Anonymous

• When I found out I was having a boy I started to research circumsition... I found lots of weight for and against. Personally I feel that uncircumsised penises are ugly and discusting, but I wanted to do what was best for my son regardless. So, I talked to the men in my family. None of the men in my mothers side were ever circed. Each and every one of them had had issues and infections and so had their wives. They all told me the same thing - DO IT.

Fo me that was the largest weight for that I needed... Nothing could match that. I had originally thought that it wouldn't matter what I did, because in the end, he really wouldn't know any better, and he'd be happy with it. But I felt that if all 3 of my uncles, their wives and my gram (my pap died) agreed that it was best to do it, even though they were not - that was enough for me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• sorry, anon... I'm dislexic... my spelling skills just don't exist...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I am against medical circumsion because there are no proven medical benifits for it and its an unessesary surgical procidure performed on an infant. Now religous circumsion I support. If its part of you culture and religon then go for it... but biblical circumcision is done differently them medical circumsition and does not take all of the forskin off.

Personally I feel that my sons have a right to decided if they want a part of their body cut off or not. There are no benifits to having it cut off, and it desensitizes the head of the peinis killing thousands of nerve endings.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I did LOTS of research and found out that their is no medical reason for doing it. The American Academy of Pediatrician even agrees. Most people who talk about infections and such were retracted forcefully as children and this causes problems later in life.

All the arguments are so vain. It looks better.....blahhh, thats just b/c Americans are use to seeing it cut. To me its ugly to see one cut, it means that poor boy had cosmetic surgery when he was a day or two old.
    My son is 5.5 no issues.
    Its such a barbaric thing and is going out of style.

You will get a million responses for this though.
    Anonymous

• No cutting here, my son is whole and intact. He is fine. I did my research and made my decision.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Actually there is NEW RESEARCh that shows it lowers STD infections in men. I chose to circumcize so we wouldnt' have to fight with the yeast infections and stuff that a lot of uncircumcized boys get
    Anonymous

• We don't do circumcision in this family. DH is but the argument "he has a penis so he knows better" is slightly flawed, especially if he's circumcised lol, he knows nothing about being uncircumcised.

When I hear of people saying things like "everyone they know has issues" I find it an over exxageration, unless they are an American family whose parents were neglectful in teaching boys proper hygiene. My side of the family has never had issues with being uncirced, but we are German. We don't view boys as incompetent lol.

I don't support genital mutilation for anyone, boy or girl. I do support genital integrity though so if we have a little boy he will be intact. I think all penis' are ugly and circing just makes a penis look like an erect penis all the time. The head comes out of the foreskin when erect so they look almost identical when hard lol. I am not shallow though, so it's never bothered me either way
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• LOL. The new research was done in Africa. Sorry, basing results in an unclean portion of Africa is comparing apples to oranges. Also, there are so many variables in these studies and the numbers were not much different.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2009