Nanny?

I am torn about weather or not to go back to work. I have a lot of options and I feel lucky for that but.... I could go back to work part time, full time or not at all and i'm just not sure what to do. I think I am leaning toward part time because I want to keep my identity and I also want to use the Masters degree that I worked soooo hard for. One downside is that my husband and I do not have family arround here so if I go to work we will have to get a nanny. I'm a little nervous about this. Are there any suggestions about how I can find a good nanny that i'm comfortable with? Also...How much should I work? and when should I go back? I just dont know! My sweet baby girl is 10 weeks old and I was thinking of going back to work at least part time in 3 months. Before I had her I thought this would be suffeciant time but now i'm feeling like its not enough time with her. Help! Any suggestions would be great!

kellycali

Asked by kellycali at 6:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was a full time nanny before I had kids and I found my families on enannysource.com. They have all kinds of great resources for families looking for help, too, like tips for interviews, etc. I would say trust your instinct on the person after you interview them. I had to go with my gut on choosing a family, too. Just know that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Nannies are different than other forms of childcare b/c they are such a part of your home and family.

No one can tell you what to do, though :) You have to feel comfortable with your decisions. I understand the part about wanting to keep your identity and use your degree, so if part time work would be good, then do it. And if seriously full time would be good, don't feel guilty about that! We were all people before we gave birth and to want to keep that identity is normal!
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• The best thing to do, is find someone you are comfortable with. Give yourself a month before you go back to work to go over nannies. Take in as many applications as you can, and out of the top 5, have them come in and do a test week. The first day you show them around, have them get comfortable with how you run your house so they know what you are expecting. The second day, let them take the lead, see how comfortable you are with their interpretation of how you run things, etc. This gives you time to find one you are comfortable with, and one you can trust.

If you find that after go through them all, that you can't find any that you like... your probably not ready to go back to work yet. In this case, give it another few months and try again. As you said, your lucky and have time on your side. Take your time, and when you are ready, you'll know. Good luck.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2009