I havent had a bowel movement in a week. Ive drank lots of prune juice to no avail. Is it safe to take enema's during your 1st trimester?

I would ask my doc but my ob/gyn office is closed for the night but my stomach is in alot of pain. Are enema's safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I dont think so, it pulls salt out of your system, but I dont know for sure. Try colace stool softner, its safe to take and worked great for me.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 6:58 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• idk
    try grapes , chocolate peanut butter cups, plums, stuff like that those are natural laxatives .
    i know prune juice never made me go .
    you can also ask a pharmisist about it they will know wha tyou can take if you want to take meds or something
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• The list of "safe OTC meds" from my OBGYN's office says that Dulcalax Stool Softeners are safe throughout pregnancy. Just take one and see how that works for you.

Also go to your local deli for dinner and have a big Spinach Salad. I've had issues going throughout my whole pregnancy (28 weeks so far) and that always helps me.
    Anonymous

• Try ginger tea or tea with ginger ale poured in it. I guess that's supposed to work.....Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• I've said this before on here, but try whole grain pop tarts. Seriously, I've never been regular, but I eat one of those every morning and I go at least once a day now.

When you're pregnant not going for a week can be normal, so I wouldn't do anything that drastic yet, and talk to your doctor before you do.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I hate to tell you this, but this is a normal pregnancy thing. I was constipated the entire time. Not fun. Colace works well. Also, try to eat foods that are high in fiber. Eat whole fruits as opposed to juice, whole grain breads, high fiber cereals like Fiber One, and lots of veggies. Try to avoid cheese and sugar. These things helped me, but the constipation didn't go away completely until the day I went into labor.
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 10:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2009