why isnt he talking?

my son is 16 months old and he does not talk. he jibber jabbers all day long but he doesnt say anything that i can understand. he used to say mama, dada, hi, bye stop, no, what, huh? just simple things, but now he only say mama. he wont even say dada anymore and it is hurting his daddys feelings. any ideas on why he isnt talking? how old were your babies when they started talking?

icychick04

Asked by icychick04 at 7:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• did he just start walking.. or start doing something new.. b/c i have heard of children doing this b4.
    Anonymous

• Maybe talk to his pediatrician... but I wouldn't worry about it to much. My daughter didn't really start talking until she was two and a half ... She didn't start stringing sentences until she was almost three. My son is twenty-three months and won't say mommy. I hear ma every now and then... He'll throw words out here and there when he is listening to his sister... but that is about it so far. Don't worry to much.
    rockn2abeat

Answer by rockn2abeat at 7:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• He is still very young to be worrying about his speech.

My dd has a speech delay. So my advice would be, talk talk talk to him and read read read. Let him hear your voice.

Keep a watch on him and if you are still worried in 4 or 5 months, mention it to his pediatrician. They can refer you for testing. But I would give him some time, he is still very little.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Has he had many ear infections? my son really struggles with that, and hsi speech was very delayed..tho some people like to denie it. my dr was concerned and so were we. after so many ear inf, we were finally able to get his tonsils, adenoids out, and tubes put in. even since he's been talkin like crazy..its not perfect yet but hes a whle different kid! He also covers his ears a lot now because things sounds so much louder, even the tv. He couldnt hear properly the whole time...it was like he was under water, cuz there was soo much fluid build up! Good Luck!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 7:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I never had to deal with speech regression. Definitely should be brought up to your pediatrician.
    Anonymous

• i would make a developmental eval spt with the pedi
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my son is 17months and hasn't said a word yet!
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 8:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my DD did that for a month or two. Just a few weeks ago she started really "talking" again. Most of it was because she was trying to form words too fast and they ended up stringing together and sounding like babble. So I would make her stop and I speak a little slower so she could catch on to the words better. She got the idea and started talking a little slower and forming her words clearer.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• thanks ladies. his pedi knows about it. at his 15 month check up the doc told me he should know more words and that i needed to work with him. i talk to him constantly and read to him and i have never allowed anyone to "baby talk" him. he has had a few ear infections but his ears are clear now.
    icychick04

Answer by icychick04 at 10:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My son is 18 mo. and hardly says anything. He grunts all day long. My oldest didn't talk right away either. I'm not too worried b/c he understands a lot of what we're saying and can make all kinds of animal sounds when we ask him. Try not to stress just yet. Not every child begins talking at exactly the 14th month, 8th day....just keep doing what you're doing and he'll eventually get it.
    liltymesmom

Answer by liltymesmom at 11:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009